Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Build - Need Help With Connecting Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

maxjello

maxjello

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This problem may be very easy to solve and probably could be solves through trial and error, but I'm so afraid of connecting something backwards and breaking it that I figured I'd ask. I have an Asus AN8-E motherboard and this case and perhaps someone could just draw lines as to what goes where. :whistling:

Any help is appreciated.

Slots:
Posted Image

Things that need plugging in:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There's also a temperature sensor. Do I plug in in somewhere or just leave it dangling? Oh, and is the wrapping supposed to come off? Sorry for the silly questions.
Posted Image

Edited by maxjello, 14 July 2006 - 09:18 PM.

Advertisements

Sierra54

Sierra54

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I put an Asus A8N-SLI into a Powerup 2532 so it shouldn't be too much different. The power, hhd, and reset leads go into the pins at the bottom right of the board. The mic, headphone, etc leads go into pins that were just behind at rear speaker jacks at the rear if I remember correctly. They were virtually impossible to get at to connect, I left mine unplugged so if you find a trick to it let me know. The temp sensor lead for the front pannel, leave the clear sleave on and tie it off someplace out of the way. It's pretty useless anyway. Asus' pc probe & AI Booster will give accurate temps.

Finally, my power up case would beep repeatedly on startup and while video editing, as temps rose. Apparently, the case I used has temp warnings which were preset very low. I spent weeks trying to figure out what was causing the beeps, updating the bios, clearing cmos, calling asus etc. I figured it out just before I began to tear it apart to rma it back to asus. Good Luck and also try to compare the manuals for both the MB and case. They may not match exactly but you'll get a good understanding for where to find things.

Edited by Sierra54, 14 July 2006 - 10:18 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Sierra54 gave some pretty good advice. Use the motherboard manual and case manual (in any was provided!!). I put together a system with a Biostar mb that had a pinout diagram with its labels. I matched the case wires accordingly (no case documentation, although just like your wires, they had labels). If they didn't match up exactly, I traced the wire back to the source inside the case to make sure what it was. With the aid of a magnifying glass to view the labels on the motherboard, I got it all connected. I was amazed, when I fired it up everhthing worked, just like I knew what I was doing! Review the motherboard manual. Mine told me that connecting up the front case speaker and mic connections would disable those at the back of the case, so I didn't use them. I just moved them out of the way and secured them with a cable tie.