Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start-up problems

• Please log in to reply

nikijean

nikijean

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have Compaq laptop and earlier today it worked fine, but then when I got home from work I tried to use it and it was having problems uploading Windows XP. It has a message saying that windows could not be started successfully and it may be due to new hardware or software and it gives me options to choose like Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Use the same connection that it last started on normally, and run Windows normally. I tried the Safe Mode and it just popped up a whole bunch of random codes and locked up and didn't do anything. I tried using the same connection.... and it goes back to the same screen. And the same thing happens with running Windows normally. I am soo frustrated. One of my roommates uses my computer to play games (and I don't know if she downloads them or not) and my other roommate and myself use it for internet purposes. Please help if you have any ideas what is going on. Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nikijean...

When you booted into Safe Mode and saw the "random codes", how long did you wait before shutting down and trying something else? The text you say on the screen were actually files loading to start Safe Mode and is a normal part of that process. It sometimes will take a few moments to actually start after the files appear to stop loading.

Also make note of the last file in that list and post it here for me.

wannabe1

nikijean

nikijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/System32/Drivers/Mup.sys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was afraid of that. :whistling:

I've never been able to recover from a hang at Mup.sys, and don't know of anyone who has. About the only thing you can do is to format and reinstall. This is not necesarily caused by anything you or your roommates have done, it's caused by the file that should load after it being corrupt or missing.

Do you have important files on this machine that need to be recovered?

nikijean

nikijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No important files just pictures and ipod songs-nothing too terribly important. How do I reinstall? Also I tried it again in safe mode and it hasn't budged from it listing all the files and it has been like that since I posted the last message.

nikijean

nikijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually how would I be able to reinstall windows if I can't get it back to the main screen and if it is stuck on that list?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did the machine come with a recovery cd? What is the model number of your Compaq?

nikijean

nikijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea it did come with a recovery cd. Its a Compaq Presario V4000

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should be able to put the recovery cd in the cd-rom drive and restart the computer. When it starts it will start a recovery operation. Some Compaq models have a nondestructive recovery which may fix this problem without a format which would leave your data intact...if offered that choice, by all means try it. If not, you will have to do a destructive recovery and your machine will be restored to "Factory Fresh" condition.

nikijean

nikijean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you sooo much for your help, I will write you sometime tomarrow and let you know how it works out. You have been a lot of help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome. I wish I could have given you better news... :whistling: