Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WTC Collapse

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
At the beginning there was speculation about explosions in that exact building. Yes, i was watching CNN warriorscot, about 4 hours a day....for about 2-3 weeks :whistling: Anywho, after a period of time it was ruled out. The exact reason i cannot tell you because i missed it when it was "breaking news". However, to demolish a building for issurence purposes is a good reason to do it. However it would have been to risky to do at that time. Why because everything was being investigated around the area, making it much hard to pull a hiest such as this one off, though plosible i find it highly unliky due to that reason.

Another thing there would have been no "safety" explosions planted into the WTC. The reason why i say this is, there might have been but they would have never set it off. Why do i know this? Because they would have evcuated the entire building of safety personel such as firefighter, paremedics, police, ect. Thats why i find this theroy highly unlikely as well.

emergency demolition

But just out of curiosity, unrelevent to this topic. But warriorscot, why would someone place "emergency" demos. inside of a building. I have never heard of anyone doing this. Just out of curiosity could you explain this? And what exacly thier purpose is? If you don't mind of course. (I might be thinking they are something else that they really arn't if so you could ignore paragraph 2 :blink: )
Thanx
James

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Why is there this feeling of doubt towards the powers that be again, is it because we feel that they are capable of such things like this now? And from what point did we stop believing I wonder?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
without being political about this...and speaking from an american mindset...when you get burned...you try to not trust the stove (if that makes sense)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you would place them there in certian situations for example: a very tall building such as the WTC with little in the way of Horizontal supports and the building existed within close proximity or in a densely populated heavily urabised area, in the event of unusually powerful weather phenomenon, explosions or collisions in all cases the building would tend to topple onto its side to at least some extent, therefore logically taking into account that these events may happen in the buldings lifetime you would put the facility for ethier an immediate or short notice emergancy demolition so that in the event of immediate risk of collapse the building can be brought down in a relativley safe vertical manner rather than the uncontrolled horizontal collapse that would be likely.

So what im saying that logically if the on scene commanders or someone watching with control saw an imminent collapse in order to preserve the lives of the people surrounding it and the other buildings they could have/would have blown it. As the 3500 people in the building doesnt compare with the tens or hundreds that would have been killed from the building toppling over. Its a possibilty they wouldnt have evacuated the building in that case they would have just done it.

Certainly they would have had to destroy the building anyway as i have read the FEMA report it was beyond saving according to it anyway.

The link ive got is dead apparently they redesigned the site but it is FEMA report 403.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ok, so i did understand you correctly. The only thing is that in order to do it they blow every lower floor, but in the case of the WTC people where still exiting the building as it was falling down and it dropped from the upper flowers down, meaning the building didn't start to collapes at the lower levels. Wouldn't there have been any reports of such a thing happening? Besides most of the buildings intourning the WTC where evacuated. So to have the towers topple onto another would only case more damamge not so much loss of life. And to top it off wouldn't they have given the safety personel a time to be out, because i know there was connection problems during the attack. This thory and any theory of explosives doesn't add up in the case of the WTC to me......
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 July 2006 - 03:57 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
In all the confusion and the fact that had they blown it people probably wouldnt have had any warning and they wouldnt have per say had time to evacuate, it is just a theory probably based on the logic im using that it would make sense to do it and if they had had the warning people say they had they could have its still a theory, but they wouldnt have had the surrounding area evacuated as quickly as that the WTCs were huge thats a big area to evacuate it would have taken several hours of not a full day to clear its immedaite area of civilians you could see people close enough to be hurt in the news coverage and the damage would have been severe if it had toppled.

If they had seen an imminent collapse or one in progress they wouldnt have given safety personel time to leave in fact they would be the last they would have evacuated they are expendable assets in that kind of situation, as soon as whoever could have been in charge of sed explosives they would have done it if they saw a collapse no matter who was in there as there would even after an evacuation be more people in the vicinity and more buildings that would have been damaged than there was people in there.

Although given its construction there are various ways that it could have been taken down, for example if they compromised the central column at the bottom then the whole building would fold like a pack of cards as that was what held everything up it was the main structural point in the building the outside basically just helped keep the floors level and protect against the wind.

Various ways to do it, was in interetingly designed and constructed building.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Various ways to do it, was in interetingly designed and constructed building.

thats for sure, expessially for its time!

to my knowledge the area was in fact cleared out no one was allowed into the area, media had troubles getting anywhere near it, sure people where within rang if it fell over at 45 degrees but i think there was a 25 block evacuation.....still within range of the towers if it fell in such a way but still loss of life would be minimal.......damage value however would be horendus. While i don't see explosives being used it is of course a possiblity, a highly unlikly one that i don't see having happend but a possibility none the less.
James