Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Take so Long to Shut-Down

• Please log in to reply

Generation_X

Generation_X

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm just a newbie in this forum, and i'd like to ask something about my PC. why evrytime i turn-off or shut-down my PC, it takes a lot of minutes before it turn-off? From the time that i click the "TURN OFF", i think it takes 20-30 sec..before its totally shutdown my PC....My "OS" is winXP Pro/SP2...is there something wrong about my PC?

I already did some scanning. like scan it first with Ad-Aware SE, and then to make sure that no spyware/malware/adware will be missed by scanner, i scan again with Ewido. The last scan will be my AVG Anti-virus...and all the test or result is CLEAN and GOOD...and all my scanner is updated...

And to make things more sure that my PC is in good condition and not in bad or error, i check for some disk error and disk defrag. it 2x - 3x a week...

Is there anyway that i can speed-up shuttingdown or lessen the time it takes whenever i turn-off my PC?

I'm hoping for some advice or Tips & Tricks on how to resolve my Q?...

Thanks in advance guys & gals....

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Welcome to Geekstogo Generation_X :whistling: .

Are you sure all programs are closed before you shut down your machine?

Try this:

Start>Run> type ''regedit'' <enter>

navigate to the following key:

[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0.

Good luck.

Edited by emery, 15 July 2006 - 01:07 AM.

Generation_X

Generation_X

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Welcome to Geekstogo Generation_X :whistling: .

Are you sure all programs are closed before you shut down your machine?

Try this:

Start>Run> type ''regedit'' <enter>

navigate to the following key:

[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0.

Good luck.

i check the ff: key...and the ClearPageFileAtShutdown is already set to 0.....

anyway,,,

thnks a lot for the advice...

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Before you shutdown your machine, are there alot of icons in the lower right hand corner?

Generation_X

Generation_X

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi emery....

theres no other icon in that part, except for my AVG anti-virus....

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

To be honest, depending on your system specs slightly, 20 secs or less isn't THAT long to shutdown. 30 secs however is longer that I would expect it to take.

Slow shutdowns like this can be caused by many different things. I suggest you try the following :

Boot the system up & then shut it down again straight away. See if your shutdown time is faster.

Disconnect any USB devices (except keyboard/mouse) before shutting down (or even before booting up & leave disconnected). See if that makes any difference.

Go to Start->Run & type msconfig
Click on the startup tab & clear every checkbox in the list.
Reboot the machine back to Windows, then shutdown again. See if this speeds things up.
When you reboot after clearing that list, you will have no antivirus running or any other programs that normally start automatically. For this reason, remember to run msconfig again & re-enable.
If shutdown was faster with everything disabled, then let me know what is in the startup list.

Obviously carry out these procedures one at a time & let me know what the outcome is to each.