Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multimedia pc!

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi everyone
i suppose i had better start with what i intend to to do!!

I would like to upgrade my current pc into a media streaming machine ill post my system in the next log but for the time being a couple of quick pointers to get me started as im going shopping today so if i know what i need i can get it!! :whistling:

Edited by notmobile, 15 July 2006 - 03:59 AM.

Advertisements

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
This might help, if you're up for some reading :-p
http://www.denguru.c...r_pc/index.html

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hmmm ive had a good read but that aint really waht im wanting to do i want convert my existing pc not build one from scratch.. i dont really have the spare cash to do one from scratch.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
What are your current system specs? This could help us look for new parts for your existing system.

Edited by emery, 16 July 2006 - 08:43 AM.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hmm is there any programs that i can download that will allow me to copy and paste the info and how specific does it need to be.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME THAT HAS A LITTLE MORE TIME ON THERE HANDS.
I DONT MEEN TO BE RUDE. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
pcwizard is in my sig, what do you mean by streaming media machine, do you mean putting media and streaming it online if thats what you want to do your internet connection is more important than your PC.

Or do you want a media center cause thats easier all you need is a tv card and some software.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ahh media centre... thats the one
Basically i want get rid of all my stereo and dvd players digi box ect and have one nice box that will play everything and send it to a nice new tv :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Seems reasonable and easy, you might want to look into the PVR software you need to do it ive always liked the looks of http://www.mythtv.org/index.php ill probably try it myself once i get my TV card hooked up to the big ariel.

If you want to dispose of your stereo you might want to get a sound card and obviously some good speakers, digi box to get rid of that your gonna need a digital TV card, ive got a cheap one cause it does the job but if its for a main system that your gonna watch all the time invest in a good TV card.