Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Radeon x1600 & Dual monitors!

• Please log in to reply

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Okie dokie. I just bought a Radeon x1600 512mb AGP graphics card today. Came home, installed it, and tried to get the dual monitors goin, seems easy 'nuff right? OH NO. NOT WITH ME. :-/ SO. I did what all the manuals say and go to the display window and settings and extend the desktop over. Then I go into the ATI CCC and make sure its activated there. La-di-da no bueno. So I reboot. Maybe thats what it took right? Well kinda. I started feeling good when both screens came up and started showing all the tests and such of the bios loadin and stuff being detected. However, when it came to the windows login screen the secondary monitor just went black. It didnt power down. Just went black. Says its still getting a signal. I try changin the settings to clone, didnt help. So i rebooted again and the same thing happened. I check to make sure the settings we're still good and active, they're fine. If I switch the display mode so the secondary BECOMES the primary display y'know? Then my original primary shows what SHOULD be on the secondary monitor (no taskbar, no icons) but the secondary monitor (now the primary) still is black. So I cant find anything to fix it!!!! AHH. Also im pretty tech-savvy so don't be gentle :-p. Usually I can figure these things out easily.

Thanks in Advance.

Crater

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
With the secondary as primary and no secondary does it work just to see if there is something wrong with the monitor, have you got the ATI hyrovision software for dual monitor management.

You might have to adjust the theatre options as well you get a blank screen if its set to handle the second monitor like a TV and put every video full screen.

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yea both monitors work, if i switch out the physical slots in the back in any combination they work. But the secondary display still comes up black. I do have hydrovision, and its running. Lemme check tv display settings

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
K I dont see anything that looks like it would make the secondary display show full screen like a TV selected. But thats assuming Im lookin in the right place. Im looking in theater mode under avivo video. then on the drop-down menus....

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Also, When i change some of the bigger settings like switching modes and stuff. Both screens get a little flicker thing. And everytime my primary screen flickers, the secondary flickers too. So its still getting a little bit of a signal from the card/

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try playing a full screen video what happens, have you tried configuration from the windows display properties it has in the past for me been able to override the CCC settings. I would also update your drivers but do so with omega drivers i find them easier to work with and have more options available.

You might need to adjust the properties make sure that the second display is being given the correct resolution and frequency of signal, try swapping the cables as well, are these both DVI monitors or is one AGP.

Also what OS are you using 2000 or XP. Have you tried all the troubleshooting guides at ATI for dual monitors.

Have you remembered to remove old drivers fomr the system you should use driver cleaner to do it, google for it, boot to safe mode and run it tiwce to get rid of any video related drivers.

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I've tried every single manual/troubleshooting thing I can find.
Running Windows 2000
One is DVI one is AGP
I've played games on the primary and nothing happens except a few flickers on both screens when the game opens up, I'll try a video real quick though.

Edited by Crater, 15 July 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Alright Warrior!! You rock! Turns out there was a lot of leftover drivers from the old ATI 9550 I had in here. got rid of everything, then installed the omega drivers and now it works ! Thanks alot man