Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my power supply bad? PC crashes during boot...

• Please log in to reply

montyq

montyq

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. I have recently tried to build a pc for home theater applications. I just got a new case w/ a 380 power supply. When I boot the pc, it starts to boot and then shuts off after a period of time (the time period varies, but is usually about 15-20 seconds). The led on the motherboard is still lit to indicate some power, but otherwise it seems that the power just shut off during boot (the cpu fan stops running, dvd drive stops spinning, etc).

I'm trying to install windows so I've got clean harddrives and whatnot in the system. Could this problem being anything other than the power supply? I just want to be sure before I contact Antec (the case manufacturer). 380W should be plenty to power all my stuff, but I don't really know for sure. Below is a list of the components in my system:

Case: antec nsk2400
Power supply: 380W ATX12V v2.01 w/ active PFC
Mobo: Asus P5GD1-VM
cpU: intel P4 lgA775
HDD1: Maxtor 300 GB SATA
HDD2: WD 160 GB
Video Card: GeForce 7600GT
DVD R/RW drive

The only thing that worries me is that the mobo manual says under "power requirements", "AtX 12V 2.0 compliant", and the case power supply says "ATX 12V version 2.01". BUT, I had previously been using a different case with a 250W supply and that one booted up no problem... So I'm pretty sure this antec power supply is junk, but perhaps someone out there that knows more about this stuff can tell me more?

thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well you could try another PS to see if it will boot but i don't think thats the problem. It sounds like either a hardware thats not working or the processor is getting hot very quickly and the MB is shutting down to prevent damage. Have you tried a minimal boot with no cd/dvd drives, only the ide drive, a stick of memory and video card?

SRX660

montyq

montyq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply SRX. You were on the right track, I got it fixed. I checked the bios and saw that the CPU was overheating. I resituated the fan and now it works fine. I'm a dummy. :whistling: This Antec case came with a bad power switch so I was quick to jump to the conclusion that there must have been something else wrong with the case. My bad.