Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REGISTRY ERROR

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi FORUM
:whistling: I was hoping I would'nt have anymore problems for a while but I have just got my dell to work thanks to the great team here and all the help I got from you. my new problem is just after signing on and being online I get a grey box telling me that the registry has errors and I need an update but can't get the update from the web address it tells me to go regrro32.com please tell how to find out if their is a serious problem.Thank you

Cheyenne 09

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there cheyenne, this error message you are getting is not real... I would suggest getting a firewall, once you get a firewall the error message will go away.

http://www.zonelabs....zap_za_grid.jsp

Cool :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hey there cheyenne, this error message you are getting is not real... I would suggest getting a firewall, once you get a firewall the error message will go away.

http://www.zonelabs....zap_za_grid.jsp

Cool :whistling:

Hi spike-hacker
Thanks for your quick reply I do have a firewall it is norton 2006 so is it not working right Thanks again.

Cheyenne 09

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SP2 is supposed to help with this, did you update XP yet

Another thing is to download and run this

http://www.grc.com/s...heMessenger.htm

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

SP2 is supposed to help with this, did you update XP yet

Another thing is to download and run this

http://www.grc.com/s...heMessenger.htm

Hi keith
Thanks for replying so quickly I just got another message when the download was finished the message was as follows message from security monitor to user on 15/7/2006
important windows security bulletin buffer overrun in messenger service allows remote code execution virus infection and unexpected computer shutdowns affected software
microsoft windows NT workstation
m.s NT server 4.0
m.s wins 2000
m.s wins xp
m.s wins win98
m.s wins server 2003
non affected software microsoft windows millennium etition your system ia affected download the patchfrom address below first type address below into your internet brower,then click ok the address will disappear once you click ok I have norton firewall 2006should Iworry about this or not Thanks again for your help .

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cheyenne 09...

Just keep going to Windows Update untill all of the available updates have been downloaded and installed. You may have to restart the machine a number of times while doing this, but it's worth the trouble. After all we've been through, we want to make sure your machine is as safe as possible.

Keep us posted on your progress... :whistling:

wannabe1

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi cheyenne 09...

Just keep going to Windows Update untill all of the available updates have been downloaded and installed. You may have to restart the machine a number of times while doing this, but it's worth the trouble. After all we've been through, we want to make sure your machine is as safe as possible.

Keep us posted on your progress... :whistling:

wannabe1

Hi wannabe1
Sorry I haven't answered you I have been trying to get the updates but my machine keeps going to safe mode for no reason so I have been waiting on my new os cd arriving which came this morning it is windows xp home edition with service pack two already installed on it. how can I check safely if my videocard is working right during all my old problems my screen froze and went to safe mode on it's own I just installed windows xp and setup my norton 2006 firewall and it went to safe mode for no reason as you know I don't need anymore problems with this system also how can I make sure my system is as safe as possible now hope your well.

as a side note where is your scottish blood from is it your parent's or grandparent's
Thanks wannabe1 your the greatest.

p.s should I update the bios + chip and atI pro driver's Thanks again

I haven't heard from you in a few days and I know how busy you are my lastest update is my computer is now going into safe mode without being prompted is this a videocard problem and any advice on how to set my computer up and keep it safe on the internet Thanks again wannabe1 your the greatest

Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 25 July 2006 - 04:33 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
I been getting help from wannabe1 but he has been off for a little while the help I have received from him has been great and I hope all is well with him. My computer is now going into safe mode and telling me my ati driver has stopped working after going to safe mode I restart it and it works for a little while. I have tried updating my ati driver but it still goes to safe mode can you tell me how to set this ati driver up dell also told me to update the bios and the chip set can you tell me how to do this as i have had a lot of computer problems lately and I don't want to have any other major problems so I want to do this with help.Thanks again :whistling:

Cheyenne 09

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC to safe mode with networking, check the firewall is on, try windows updates, though it might moan about safe mode

Did you get the drivers from ATI or Omega, whichever ones you have, try the others

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Can you boot the PC to safe mode with networking, check the firewall is on, try windows updates, though it might moan about safe mode

Did you get the drivers from ATI or Omega, whichever ones you have, try the others

HI keith I can use my computer as normal until the video driver stops working my firewall is on and working when i installed the ati update it went into safe mode right away i haven't tried going into safe mode but i can work everything after i restart the computer when the video driver stops working i also did the shoot the messenger download and that problem has stopped thanks again for all your help keith.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 27 July 2006 - 03:26 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have an ATI Radeon card

Create a folder in My Documents, download and save this file to it

http://www7.spread-i...3711e0724ca3f83

Click here

http://www.omegadriv...ti/win2k_xp.php

and download and save these drivers to the folder you created, from any of the download mirrors, only one lot though :whistling:

[attachment=9877:attachment]

Run cat uninstaller and reboot

Install the Omega drivers

Sorry if we already did this, if so, download cat uninstaller the same, download and save the ATI drivers

http://www.filehippo...d_ati_catalyst/

Install as for the Omega drivers

From Microsoft Update, check you have .net framework 1.1, the service pack for it and then the hotfix for it, ATI cards need these

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi keith
:blink: I am using my son's computer to post this to you now as he has just joined GTG. after posting this morning I was trying to post back to you and my computer kept going to safe mode every few mintues so I restarted as I had done before but then it kept restarting without stopping I was trying to download the mirror downloads at this time do I need all the downloads in the box or is it one of each I am using the new os windows xp home edition with service pack 2 preinstalled and I updated it after the installation so will the updates I got before for the bios chip set and ati driver from the dell site work with this new os system or should get new ones.Thanks again keith for all your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You just need any one of those, so you have a 22MB file

Maybe use another PC to download and save them to disc then install them when the PC is cold

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

You just need any one of those, so you have a 22MB file

Maybe use another PC to download and save them to disc then install them when the PC is cold

Hi keith
I have just got one of the downloads and put it onto disk after exstacting it it comes up with an error 7-zip diagnostic message 0 can not open output file d:\rad_w2kxp_omega_38252.exe any ideas what I should do Thanks again keith.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi keith
I have just got one of the downloads and put it onto disk after exstacting it it comes up with an error 7-zip diagnostic message 0 can not open output file d:\rad_w2kxp_omega_38252.exe. and now my monitor is switching off onto standby but when I move the mouse it wont come back on so i have to hold the power button for 5 sec's and then restart it any ideas what I should do now Thanks again keith.

Edited by cheyenne 09, 28 July 2006 - 03:21 PM.