Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello im having probs with my graphics cards my pc has an on board and i have put a new one in but i dont think it is being used so how do i find out and how do i set it??

Please help :whistling:

Advertisements

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
It should be in the BIOS menu. To access this, reboot the computer hit DELETE to open the setup. I believe its under one of options about motherboard settings or Onboard devices? Go through each one however and there should be an option to enable/disable the onboard video card.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
can you bit a bit more detailed....

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
follow these steps on the machine with the problem:

Start machine, during bootup hit DELETE button a few times until your BIOS screen comes up. Look around in BIOS for tabs like Onboard Devices or Motherboard Settings. Go through them all and there should be an option to enable or disable the onboard video card.

Hope that was detailed enough for you.

Edited by emery, 16 July 2006 - 09:03 AM.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ok i have tried to get into bios but every time i hit delete it flashes up keyboard failure but then loads windows and everything seems fine.

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Machine make and model please...... Also, is the new Vid card AGP?

Side trip - if you plug your monitor into the new Vid Card output, does it function? Not all, but a large number of MOBO manufacturers force the on-board vid card to auto disable when it senses a plug-in vid card.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You may have to use a PS2 keyboard and mouse in the BIOS. Most bios will not see a usb or wireless Kb/mouse. If you plugged your monitor into the graphis card and you get to the desktop the motherboard is using the card for graphicsand has probably disabled the on-board graphics. If you do not have graphics by the above method you will need to go into the bios and change the graphics from onboard to AGP( PCI-e,PCI, or whatever card you have). Usually hitting the delete key gets you into the Bios but you need look your computer up on the net to make sure.

If you look at this website you will get a general idea where to look to change the graphics card in the bios. Remember you will be using the arrow and enter keys to move around in the bios.

http://www.computerh...elp/phoenix.htm

You will notice in the advanced section it has "video Configuration". Your bios may not be exactly the same but it will be similar. Use the up and down arrow keys to get to that configuration. Hitting the enter key will pop up a window where you can change it with the arrow keys. you will see where it probably says "on-board" video and it may have alist where you can use the up and down arrow keys to set it to agp. If you do not have a list you may have to use the left and right arrow keys to change the setting. Once you have set it to AGP you will hit the Esc key in the top left of your keyboard to get out of that window. Hitting the Esc key again will usually get you out of the bios. You will have a window that asks you to hit a certain key( mostly F10) to save your changesand exit the bios.Your computer should restart and boot up using the new AGP video card. You will have to install drivers for the card.

If the bios shows that your video is already set to AGP then you do have the automatic disable in your computer. Just Esc out of the bios without saving any changes( since you did not make any)and you are back to booting to windows.

SRX660

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
COOL IVE SORTED THAT FROM THE EXPLANATION OF WHERE THE MONITER PLUGS IN. THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
REGARDS NOTMOBILE. :whistling: