Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop - windows won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

Unseen

Unseen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Laptop - windows won't boot up

I have problem with notebook, windows won't start up when I tried this morning. The computer continually display the windows XP loading screen. The progress bar keeps on moving, but windows won't load up. I left on with the screen for 1 hour+, and it still showing the windows XP load screen. The big problem is that I experience a similar problem when I try to run Windows Setup for my Windows XP CD. Setup start to load and then display “Setup is starting Windows” and it just freezes there. So I can't reinstall windows either.

The problem was probably result of something I did yesterday. When I tried to shutdown my laptop last night, it wouldn't shutdown. So I forced to shutdown, ever since that it has had this problem. The only non-regular thing is I downloaded and ran Cpu Z (hardware info program) last night. Cpu Z is just and executable and doesn't install as program. Also, I might have forgot to close it out before I shutdown windows last night.

Also, my laptop has been configured for dual-boot with Fedora Core for a year now. Fedora Core 4 did start up properly and looks like my Hard Disk is working properly. Any ideas how to try and fix this problem?

Here is my laptops specs:
MSI 1029 Laptop
AMD Turion TM-32, 512 MB ram, 60 GB HD
Windows XP SP2 / Fedora Core 4

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi unseen, See if you can get in to safe mode.
boot, keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options,
select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with
an account that has administrator rights.
Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore
see if that works.

o_swas

o_swas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Help help help!!

I have the *exact* same problem you describe. I can't boot into XP after using CPU-Z on my MSI-1029 with the MT-40 CPU and 80 GB drive, nearly identical to yours. I did a hard shut down when the notebook hung during shut down. Now, I can't boot into XP using safe mode or anything, and I can't even boot the XP installation CD. I can't even boot the BartPE CD, which I find rather strange... if XP is hosed up, shouldn't it still boot BartPE off of a CD?

The strangest thing is that I used DriveImage XML to re-image the hard drive to an image I had about a week prior (before I installed CPU-Z). If XP was hosed, shouldn't it have been fixed after I re-imaged the drive?

Can somebody shed some light on what's going on here, or what I need to do? Do I need to "super delete" the drive and then do the re-image? I'm out of ideas.

Thank you!!!!!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you taken battery and hold the power button down for about a minute to let all power drain completely out the put battery back then try start your computer

Edited by rushin1nd, 21 November 2006 - 11:10 PM.

o_swas

o_swas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
rushin1nd, I'm just curious: what would removing the battery do?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well at times just unplugging computer from the wall and ifs its a laptop then unplug and remove battery hold power for a minute it ensure that theres no static left behind from electricity and at times computer is able to start up

o_swas

o_swas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

I removed the battery, held down the power button for a bit, re-installed the battery and rebooted. I selected Safe Mode on startup, and low and behold, XP booted!! I even did a few restarts and it's good to go.

Thank you so much!!!

The bad news is that wifi isn't working now. Not sure why that wouldn't be working. Any chance it's related?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
wifi

not sure what you mean by that

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
He's saying that his wireless network dont work.

o_swas

o_swas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
That's correct, my wireless network isn't working now. D'oh.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
from start control panel..system...hardware...device manager ...are there any warnings or yellow marks

o_swas

o_swas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Wifi is working now. According to device manager is was enabled, but I pushed a little "wireless" button above the keyboard and that enabled wireless. Not sure how that's different, but it worked.

Thanks to everybody for their help!!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
from start control panel..system...hardware...device manager ...are there any warnings or yellow marks

try this see if you can download burn it to cd and run program on computer that doesnt connect
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 November 2006 - 12:14 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
thanks for letting me know

ihope this helps both of your problems