Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving up for an expensive computer.

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Hey, everyone. I'm Matt. I'm thirteen [turning fourteen a couple of weeks], and I'm saving up for my own computer just for graphic designing. I estimated the computer to be around $1,600, and I'm broke right now.

In a few more weeks, I'll be starting a 'job' at a nursing home. It's not really a job, it's voluntary services. My mom is paying me $10 a week (yeah it sucks, but it's the only kind of weekly money I can be getting at my age right now). I sorta 'calculated' that I will be able to get a decent computer around three years if I just continue with my kind of money making right now.

Is there anything you guys used to do when you needed money big-time when you were a teen ager? I don't mind waiting a couple of years to get something I really want ; because it makes getting it a lot sweeter when you've worked your butt for a while, and you finally get it. However, I also wouldn't mind if I could get it a bit quicker.

So... any tips on making money for my age?

Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Skimming parents always a goodie, but at nursing homes yes you can volunteer but you can also get non volunteer work as a nursing assistant needs no real qualifications ive got a friend that does it, ive been tempted a couple of times to try and get a job there nursing homes always looking for staff here but the idea of changing adult nappies isnt appealing. Or just get a normal paying job.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When I was your age, I had a paper route and mowed lawns. Both paid well enough that I was able to buy my own car when I turned 15...a 1959 Studebaker... :whistling:

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Skimming parents always a goodie, but at nursing homes yes you can volunteer but you can also get non volunteer work as a nursing assistant needs no real qualifications ive got a friend that does it, ive been tempted a couple of times to try and get a job there nursing homes always looking for staff here but the idea of changing adult nappies isnt appealing. Or just get a normal paying job.

Yeah, but I'm not old enough to do any much of that stuff. :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I'm fourteen. I give squash and tennis lessons to younger kids on saturday mornings.

Maybe an idea if you live near a gym or sporting complex?

just an idea of you're interested:

taking peoples dog for a walk?

Some people don't have time to do this themselves or they might go on vacation and need someone to look after their dog.

Good luck finding a job.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are plenty of jobs out there, you just need to find them. It is harder to get a job when your younger thats a given. However its still possible it took me 1 month when i was 13 to get a job but i finally did. It was at a driving range (still there :'( , :whistling:, but i have another 2 jobs right now...agrrr). It all depends on first impressions though. But make up a resume and get out there and apply at every place you can think of. If you get more then one call for an intervue take them and then in the end you will get to chose the best job suited for you out of them all. But hey, if you continue to volunteer there for a bit maybe a job will pop up that you can apply for, after working there for a bit you'd have the advantage over most.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 July 2006 - 10:50 AM.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Thanks for the advice.

I just decided that I'll just earn up for a Nintendo DS Lite.
Because I just realized: I'm earning up for something over $500.. wayyy over $500 with $10+/week?! Unreal. Impossible.

It'll be easier once I start saving up once I get a real job. I mean... I will still save up money. I won't spend it all on just one thing; but thanks for the tips though, guys.

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
matt, i really admire your determination to obtain a computer. definitely the youngster "toys" of today is quite different during my time even though i'm 31 now.

it sounds like you really have an inner passion for graphic arts. i think u should not give up but expand your ways of trying to obtain money & save save save!

when i was about 14 i remember my neighborhood friend who was a skater & he wanted to build a big ramp for he and his buddies to skateboard on...well we came up with the idea of asking the neighborhood all around if they would donate for this "ramp idea" well surprisingly everyone donated!!! the money was quite good too. be creative and don't limit yourself! amazing things can happen :blink:

also when u start ur new job, talk to people...tell them what you're trying to do and why, share it with them. ask others young or older about how u can find a good computer for a cheaper price. don't be afraid to talk and ask others...it will open more doors & it will lead to the path u need to go. there might even be someone who is giving a good free computer away too!! don't give up! let us know how it goes my dear :whistling:

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

I was able to buy my own car when I turned 15...a 1959 Studebaker...

funny, first vehicle was a '60 ford econoline, whopping 144 cubic inch monster 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. Did a lot of yard work, and scrapping (back then deposit money on soda bottles), do what you can to make the bucks. My first car (van) was built close to the day I was born, guess you cant go back that far for a computer.
Good luck!

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey Matt, don't give up! I agree with s2006 ... if you've got passion for graphic designing then go for it. If you tell people why you want a job they may even have a need for some graphic design and see you as a cheaper alternative and you may even get work doing your passion.

My daughter just turned 14 and she's been working since 13 and a half. When she turned 13 she wanted a job after school like her two brothers. She typed up a resume and included all the volunteer work she'd done (I am very active at her school and have always 'roped' the children in to helping). She listed the volunteer jobs separately and listed the kinds of things she'd done. I believe this had a twofold effect - it showed what she was capable of and that she was community minded and not afraid to help when needed - employers like this. We live in a country town with around 6,000 people. She walked from one end of the main street to the other and asked in every shop and business to speak to the Manager (better to speak to the Manager rather than a junior who might not pass the info on) and handed them her resume and told them she was looking for work after school or at weekends. Well the first time she got nothing. So three months later she did the same again and was told by a company who publish a horse magazine that she'd just missed out because they had just hired someone to put their magazines into envelopes and put address stickers on them. Three months later she did the same thing again - she said some of the people were really sorry that they hadn't been able to employ her because she was so committed. She got a job at a coffee shop cleaning up at the end of the day - sweeping and mopping the floor, unpacking and packing the dishwasher, wiping down the tables, etc. She worked a couple of days a week for six months and the coffee shop was sold and she was out of a job, so she immediately went into Subway restaurant and applied and got a job there. She makes at least $60 a week (they employed her because she'd already been working in the food industry and because she was under age they asked for a letter from me giving her permission to work).

The point in this longwinded explanation is that you don't necessarily have to think of the type of job you could get, just apply to everyone because someone may have a job that you never would have thought of.

Don't give up ... at least you'll get known as the teenager who doesn't give up!

Advertisements

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
the post by frantique is a good encoragement matt...her daughter is your age too! i'm sure you're out of school now for summer vacation but when u start up again, don't forget to tell your teacher(s)!!! they can also be the best help. tell them you want to be a graphic designer but have no computer, be PERSISENT :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

I'm saving up for my own computer just for graphic designing

I'm earning up for something over $500.. wayyy over $500 with $10+/week?! Unreal. Impossible.

Matt, I've probably got near on 100 stories of things I've wanted that were at the time out of my reach and that I got somehow anyway (a couple I firmly believe were miracles!). I've always used the following quote by W.H. Murray - I have it typed up, laminated and always visible.

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness concerning all acts of initiative and creation. There is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans; that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too.

All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen events, meetings and material assistance which no one could have dreamed would have come their way.

I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets: "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!"

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Great insight. :whistling:

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
thank u frantique, for posting that quote. that actually gives me endless encouragement in my path as well. what a blessing to read that :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

but at nursing homes yes you can volunteer but you can also get non volunteer work as a nursing assistant needs no real qualifications Ive got a friend that does it, Ive been tempted a couple of times to try and get a job there nursing homes always looking for staff here but the idea of changing adult nappies isn't appealing. Or just get a normal paying job.

avoid working in a nursing home like the plague (or any medical field for that matter)...unless nursing is your passion in life...i worked as a CNA (certified nursing assistant) for 2+years at a stroke/orthopedic rehab facility in a hospital here (Patricia Neal Rehabilitation Facility...it's relatively well known)...and while i was able to go to school while working, actually enjoy myself at work (you get to meet some very fun people with strokes)...i would never suggest this job to anyone..there's too much pain involved (both your own physical pain and the pain of what you see)...it's a good learning experience..but it is VERY rough on you...

as everyone else suggested...if you desire something bad enough..and work hard enough towards your goal..it will be achieved, it's just a matter of perseverance and patience