Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving up for an expensive computer.

• Please log in to reply

crustygloves

crustygloves

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Try to get a job with an uncle or family friend, or cut lawns, i make $50 a week cutting lawns, and i keep getting asked to cut more lawns every week.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Babysitting, running errands, cleaning out garages, mowing yards, shoveling snow, raking (or blowing) leaves, bagger or stocker at a store, paper route, cleaning houses, waiting tables, look around and see what needs done, then knock on doors. There have been many a time that if a teenager would have knocked on my door and asked to cut the grass, I would have gladly overpaid him because I get overwhelmed, too. But you can never seem to find an available young person to hire when you need one. My elderly aunt's basement flooded last week, and I convinced 2 twelve year old to help haul the stuff upstairs (I have broken ribs) and I felt lucky to have found the two enterprising young men.

The advice you received earlier about bugging the school is sound thinking. Make them aware of your goals, and try to enlist in their help. It looks better on you if your grades reflect that you can take on additional responsibility, and your attitude is positive. If you can get your parents to encourage your school's help, even better. It's terrific that you have ambition and initiative. Keep it up and you'll go far.
Johanna

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm going to start earning up for the computer once I am 16- the legal age to recieve a job.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The money your mother will give you buy you the computer you want sooner than you think because the tech/price range is moving downwards by the month.

My advice, don't buy anything until you have a USB key and have used that for one month. I promise that after a week of carrying a laptop around you will say "know what, I am going to leave this at home and just take my USB key to school", if you drop it, if you spill coffee on it, if the bad boys see that you have it, it is heavy, the battery life problem, the bits that go funny, the malware, and seeing that after a a few years it is so old....

Okay, I agree that I have been nagative here but I am on your side hoping that you will give the USB key idea a trial then.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're almost 14? Start mowing some lawns. My nephew is 11 and has been cutting lawns this summer. He get's $15-20 yard, and can 4 in one day. $60-80 day will get you a new computer pretty quickly. :whistling:

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm already fourteen. :whistling: