Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Used PC- no start up discs, boot discs, etc

• Please log in to reply

vicki2314

vicki2314

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A friend of mine just bought a used PC and discovered tons of junk on it and would like to reset the computer to its original settings as if it was brand new. The computer did not come with any start up discs, boot discs, Windows XP disc, nothing. Also, we have no idea what the administrator's password is and can only use the computer as a 'guest'. The operating system is Windows XP Home edition.

The solution I've found so far is to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. However I am concerned because I have no operating system disc to reinstall. I have found the boot disc on Microsoft's website and have found a program at www.killdisc.com but I'm really looking for step by step instructions on how to approach this so I will end up with a working PC at the end!

Please help! Thanks!

Advertisements

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
If i was you i would ask the person who they got it from the password for administrator

vicki2314

vicki2314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the computer was bought from a pawn shop as is...

Edited by vicki2314, 15 July 2006 - 07:05 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The boot disc won't install an operating system

vicki2314

vicki2314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The boot disc won't install an operating system

that's what I thought.

so what do you suggest I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to leave the operating system on, then if you need to replace files or repair it, you can do it with a borrowed CD

What are classing as junk?

vicki2314

vicki2314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What are classing as junk?

there are many illegal copies of programs and games along with KAZAA and I'm sure a huge load of spyware and malware to go with it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove what you can of the unwanted bits with control panel, add and remove, post back with the ones you cannot shift

vicki2314

vicki2314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok I'll try that, thanks

Edited by vicki2314, 15 July 2006 - 08:09 PM.