Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I uncap my cable modem to get higher speeds?

• Please log in to reply

undun40cal

undun40cal

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
:whistling: Just a quick question. Can I uncap my cable modem to get higher speeds? I see in my Network connection it says i get 1Mbps and i assume thats the connection for my modem to my pc.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

:whistling: Just a quick question. Can I uncap my cable modem to get higher speeds? I see in my Network connection it says i get 1Mbps and i assume thats the connection for my modem to my pc.

That would be illegal and we dont help people do anything of the sort..

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I wish to revise that question, Is it possible to do it tho? Just curious thats all, my cable gives me great speeds but I always thought it wasnt possible to do it, was I wrong...

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I think it's not possible. I think it's something your provider does from their side of the cable.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
The days of uncapping modems is long gone. I don't even know if you could with your cable modem, if you did you can be sure they'd cap it back real quick.

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i got a question that goes along with this, would my cable modem run faster if i added a cable amplifier on the line running to my modem, it sure helped my tv

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your TV is analogue if you boost the signal the picture gets better as its totally dependant on the signal strength, computer networks are digital signal strength is irrelevant up to the point you can recieve it, boosting the signal would have no effect on speed it would just boost the signal that is there.