Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New and Need Help With Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Can't thank you enough!! I will definatley see how this goes and will post back here if the problem arises gain. I also appreciate you researching this for me :whistling:.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure...let me know how it goes. :whistling:

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
BSOD came back. Wondering how I would go about erasing everything and just reinstalling XP?? Sounds like that is the only way to fix this.

Edited by Tfire136, 17 July 2006 - 01:00 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have any data you need, or can you back it up?

Have you got the product key, XP CD and all software CD's for the programmes you need

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There is nothing that needs to be backed up everything can be erased. I have the original XP product Key that came with the machine and I just have a copy of XP home from my other computer. I do have all the program CDs like office and all the other software I would have to install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This adds 8 hours to the re-install, however, it wipes the drive comprehensively, which will reduce the chances of an install error

If you do go this route, note the part about checking the XP format is creating RAW1 on C

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Download Boot and Nuke

Using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I will give it a shot. It seems that this is the only route I can go now. Even though I have a different XP disk than what came with the computer as long as I have the Key I should be good correct??? Also I do not have any of the driver disks that came with this computer......in fact I do not have any disks at all will I stilll be able to install the proper drivers for everything?? Finnally when I do wipe everything and install again is it pretty much self explanatory and if something gets messed up will I be able to start over again??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you post a list of the programmes you want to run, which you do not have software for

There is a link for installing XP

The product key is the main thing

It is a 25 alpha - numeric code

It does not have OEM in it

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have disks for all the software I wish to run....Office, Zona Alarm, Trend Micro and what have you. I was just concerened about all of the proper drivers being installed for all of the hardware. I do have the proper CD Key but just noticed the only version of XP I have is Pro not Home.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has to be an XP Pro CD Key then

Advertisements

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
In your opinion do you think there is any other way I can go about fixing this besides wiping it???? I do not have any of the driver CDs or anything of that nature which I imagine would just cause me even more of a headache lol. We tried the simple fix and that did not work so I do not know where to go from here.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Tfire136

Tfire136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I will give it a try and see what I come up with...Thanks!!!