Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

starting my computer

• Please log in to reply

Doods

Doods

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have just picked up a second hand computer to play with and when I turn it on it gets as far as the screen with the cpu speed, cache memory etc and has c:\>.How do I get past this to start windows 98 or install xp on to it.Is it possible or do I throw it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Doods...

At the C:\> prompt, type dir and press "Enter". Do you get a list of files? Is Windows in the list?

wannabe1

Doods

Doods

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It comes up as volume in drivec has no label
volume serial number 2305-1ae9
Directory of c:\

command com 93,890 04-23-99 10:22p
1 file 93,890 bytes
0 dir 4,109.84 mb free

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like the drive has been stripped. In order to do anything more, you'll have to format and install an operating system.

That's a pretty small HDD and I would doubt whether this machine has the specs to run WinXP so Win98SE would be your best bet.

wannabe1

Doods

Doods

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks wannabe 1.
Yeah your right about the size it was a freebee so I can't complain and it is for this reason that I got it so I can practise and not wreck my good one when the time arises.

Thanks again for your help
Doods