Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble with Graphics Card!

• Please log in to reply

Sky'

Sky'

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, I currently have a Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX as my video card on my laptop. I recently rebooted my computer fresh and new and installed the drivers for the Nvidia on the CD provided by my laptop's manufacturer. The update is a pretty old one so I went on to Nvidia.com to download the new one and when I tried to install it, it gave me this message:

The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will not exit.

I don't understand. I downloaded the correct one from the website. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Go to device manager, delete the video card from the list there and reboot. Let windows go online and find a correct driver for it.

Good luck.

Sky'

Sky'

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm confused. What do you mean let windows go online and find it?

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
He means through Windows updates... there's a way for it to search for drivers although I thought they were all Microsoft and pretty generic but maybe that changed.

Make sure that you downloaded the drivers for the Geforce 7 go series. The "go" series is what the laptop video cards are part of, which are a bit different than the desktop versions/drivers. If you are tring to install desktop drivers that may be the problem :whistling:

Edited by MNOB07, 16 July 2006 - 03:50 PM.

Sky'

Sky'

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No that's not it, because I went to Nvidia.com and installed from the Go Series for my XP, so I know that can't be the problem. But I'm not sure if I should try his way. If possible can you be more specific with step by step emery? If it's possible, can someone suggest any other ideas?

EDIT:

I just tried out your advice of going into device manager and deleting it. When I rebooted and let windows search for the update, it said it couldn't find anything for the hardware. Anymore recommendations? Anyone?

Edited by Sky', 16 July 2006 - 10:14 PM.