Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Machine_Check_Exception

• Please log in to reply

ottokin

ottokin

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have been having trouble with my Compaq Presario 5004US,
running Win XP Home
518 Ram
1.1 ghz
AMD Athlon

I can not boot it up with or without the windows cd. I have tried to run the recovery disk and after loading whatever it has to load I get a Disk Error. Call HP tech support. All it does is shuts down and reboots to the point of the splash screen then shuts down and tries to reboot again. Every now and then I get a Machine_Check_Exception blue screen telling me that windows shut down before damage to the computer occurs. After letting it sit for 3 days I tried it again and actually got into the log on screen before it shut down. I tried to reload windows and by booting from the CD it loads all the drivers and necessary files but freezes at the blue screen telling my windows is loading. What's up and what can I do to fix this? Please help with any information. I replaced the CPU fan because the old one made noises thinking maybe this was the problem.

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"

Hardware Failure: Contact Original Equipment Manufacturer

Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

This behavior occured because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your computer.

Note: As a general rule, Microsoft recommends you back up your files on a regular basis in case of any unexpected hardware failures.

Additional Technical Information

Error Message: STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)

Advertisements

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
This is a followup to my previous post.

I have tried to safe mode, start windows normally, and also return to previous windows settings at bootup and still nothing works. I can get to the command prompt with no problem, but being a novice, I'm lost at that point.

My Webpage