Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access microsoft downloads

• Please log in to reply

kimmydawn

kimmydawn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there. I'm new. This site was recommended by a friend.

Microsoft has a couple of new beta downloads I'd like to try. My computer is completely up to date, even with the optional upgrades, with microsoft. For some reason, though, I can't even access the downloads page from my computer! It's maddening. I've tried everything that I know to try. I don't have this issue with anything else.

I've done everything that microsoft suggests...I've cleaned disc and temporary internet pages and history. I unchecked "show friendly HTTP error message" in advanced internet options. I tried to download from mozilla, but can't even obtain that site to get the necessary plug-in for mozilla. I purchased and ran "Tracks Eraser Pro" to clean up the index.dat file(s) even. I added the site to accepted sites in the security tab of internet options. I've done several other things, but nothing is working. I can say my computer is pretty clean probably. :whistling:

Someone suggested that I uninstall my IE 6 and reinstall it. I'm not going to do that if I can't access the website to reinstall it.

I'm at a loss. I can upgrade fine. When I initiate the down load, all is well...microsoft even thanks me for my download. However, the second page it opens up to go to the downloads site says "this page cannot be displayed". I tried everything it suggests on that page as well.

Help??? Thank you so much!

Kim

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the link to the page

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
You can also reinstall IE 6 if you have your windows xp cd. Start>control panel>software>add/remove windows components> check/uncheck the IE 6 box and click ok. It will ask you for your windows xp cd.

kimmydawn

kimmydawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
http://download.microsoft.com

Thanks!

Kim

kimmydawn

kimmydawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, emery, but I don't have a disc. One didn't come with my presario when I purchased it.

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Some of those are available here

Windows Defender

IE 7 Beta 3

Windows Media Player 11 Beta

Which ones did you want

kimmydawn

kimmydawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been trying to get the Internet explorer 7 Beta 3. I wonder now if I should not try that.

I still want to know why I can't download, or show the page. I've been authenticated. It's just strange and now I'm just trying to figure out the "whys" of it.

Thanks so much,

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set a restore point before installing any of them, it could be worth try to install from the links in post 6 as it may be windows installer

Click start, control panel, network and internet, internet options, click delete files, include offline content, delete cookies, clear history, click apply

Run disc clean up then try the downloads

kimmydawn

kimmydawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Y'all are AWESOME!!!! Keith, thanks for posting those alternate links to obtaining it. I don't know why, still, that I couldn't access the downloads page, but will try with my new IE7. Maybe if the IE6 was corrupted, it's fixed it?

Thanks again! It worked!

Now I'm gonna go play!

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the outcome

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I could not get downloads to finish reading what I needed for updates, on Microsoft updates. Always got an error and could not scan. I have a friend who works for MS in India. He gave me these and the second one fixed my problem. It now scans and works great. Try them if the attatchment will open for you. I also have IE6 on an installer, IE7 is pretty weird at first, takes awhile to figure all out. I think it's getting more compatible with yahoo, etc as time goes by , getting better. Nice to have daul operating systems with 6 on one and 7 on the other.

Attached Files

kimmydawn

kimmydawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just wanted to pop back in and tell you that I tell everyone I know about y'all. I'm the administrator of a pretty large community website/forums and I've advised several about your site and the wonderful things you do here. I've also told many in real life.

I love the IE7 beta3 and so appreciate the help. I still don't know why I couldn't download from microsoft, but oh well... I have problems in no other areas, and as long as y'all are here I feel so much more confident with my computer.

Thanks for what you do!

Kim

Edited by kimmydawn, 22 July 2006 - 12:32 AM.