Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

video card or driver problem

• Please log in to reply

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I keep getting a problem, though not always!
I have had a blue screen saying OUT OF TIMING (or TIME?) but more recently the blue screen says the following:

Problem caused by ati2dvag
The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
check with the device vendor for any driver updates.
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000EA (0x819558B8, 0x 819B7520, 0xF9E65CB4, 0x00000001)
atidvag
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

I have tried ati website but found no updates at all that seem to fit the card (bought 2002 ATI RADEON VE 32MB DUAL DSUB AGP
I have e-mailed them but had no reply

Might I need to replace the card if so what can I get? Does it have to fit with the motherboard and/ or the chip?
Any help much appreciated!
Dave

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello depresseddonkey...

As a start to troubleshooting this problem, try the Workaround suggested in this Microsoft Article. Let us know if if helps.

wannabe1

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks. I've done that and will await events! It's a bit erratic e.g. before I posted the original, it went to the blue screen soon after I'd turned on, but then after the post I left the computer on and it has been fine. similarly this morning it crashed twice in quick succession and then was fine. I'll keep you posted!
regards
Dave

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Discovered that video card is Radeon 7000 series. Found updated driver on ati site but that gave me problems - problem message to do with vpu. Stupidly I did not write it down - something to do with not being able to do one thing and switching to another? So have reverted to your suggested settings - now get message : ATI control panel failed to initialize because there is no ati driver installed or ati driver not working properly.
But screen seems OK.
Away for a few days will log in next week!
Thanks
Dave

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Rescind previous post! Just doing something when screen went black! Sounded like something going on inside computer but then it stopped and I had to reset.

Still going away, though!

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OK so having re-instated the updated driver with full acceleration, to see what happened, the message came up
VPU has reset your graphics accelerator. and
VPU recover was unable to fully recover from a hardware deadlock and has switched to software rendering. To restore hardware rendering you must restart your computer

Does that shed any light on the problem?

thanks
Dave

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
The latest development is that even with accelerations etc. off as per post 2, I have started to get the blue screen as per my initial post!

Dave

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Now seems to go to black screen more often though sometimes blue screen! I take it you've had no luck with the problem or perhaps you're away on holiday? Maybe I need a new video card?

Cheers
Dave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So Sorry...I must have lost the subscription to the topic. Probably a short somewhere between my keyboard and my chair...

This is sounding like an overheating video card. I don't think that card has a fan, so it's probably a matter of the card is going bad. Check to see if the fins on the chipset cooler are clear of dust bunnies. This may be a good opportunity to upgrade to a stronger card... :whistling:

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks. Any suggestions as to which card? Don't do much gaming - mainly adventure puzzle solving type e.g. Simon the sorcerer 3D but do have digital photos.

Edited by depresseddonkey, 16 August 2006 - 05:58 AM.