Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

SpyWolf

SpyWolf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i just bought a new vedio card (ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-Express 512MB Video Card) and i was mistaken to have a pci express slot which i didn't have :whistling:
my computer is compaq Presario SR1519X and the motherboard is PTGD-LA
i need a motherboard same size so i don't have to change my case i looked at PTGD1-LA which has a pci express slot. plzz help

thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are three main problems with branded computer systems such as your Compaq when it comes to upgrading them:

1) Quite a lot of them have had the graphics adaptor (AGP or PCI-e) removed which makes it impossible to add a new graphics card.

2) The size of the power supply (big grey box at the top back of the case) is usually only sufficient to run what's already there. Also in many cases the power supply is not a standard size dimension-wise, so you can't replace that if it turns out your box isn't powerful enough.

3) Front panel connectors (switch, lights, etc) are usually combined into one big connector-block that makes it unusable without a lot of hard work with a new board. In extreme cases front USB, front audio sound and front panel Firewire are also, for want of a better term, "butchered" to the original board with non-standard wiring, meaning you run the risk of potentially damaging any new board you put in there.

Now having said all of that, it would be far easier just to get a new Socket 775 board and a new case and stick all your bits in there. But there is another problem: Windows won't boot on the new motherboard (as its looking for the previous board). The solution to this is to repair it from your Windows CD. HP and Compaq and many other manufacturers don't give you a Windows disk when you buy the machine. So you have to borrow one from somewhere, repair your installation, then phone up Microsoft to activate it, as the key on the side of your Compaq case won't activate over the internet.

Have fun :whistling:

SpyWolf

SpyWolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx for your reply
if you get a new motherboard all you have to do is call microsoft and tell them to activate it
tell them your computer crashed or something so it would be activated
that if you have a legal copy :blink:
well no choice but to change the case and motherboard :whistling:
thanx anyway