Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Core Microprocessors

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
For my next computer that I am building im interested in trying a dual core processor that I have been reading about. Are these as effective for gaming as the standard processor?

How does the Pentium D compare with the Pentium Core 2 and AMD's dual core processor?

Im looking to spend between $400-500 for the mobo+chip. Any help or information you all have about dual core processors is appreciated.

Edited by Titan8990, 16 July 2006 - 01:03 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

For my next computer that I am building im interested in trying a dual core processor that I have been reading about. Are these as effective for gaming as the standard processor?

How does the Pentium D compare with the Pentium Core 2 and AMD's dual core processor?

Im looking to spend between $400-500 for the mobo+chip. Any help or information you all have about dual core processors is appreciated.

Dual core chips are fine for gaming and yes they are as effective as a single core chip would be. You wont get 2x the performance though. Dual core is good and alot better for intensive multitasking with many applications up at the same time and you need to get a sufficient ammount of ram also. I wouldnt get any less than 1gb of ram ever, 2gb is a good ammount of ram..

Pentium core 2 duo also called the Conroe is alot faster and better than the Pentium D and its even better than all of the current Amd cpu's from fx-62 and below. The 2.67ghz and 2.40ghz Intel Conroe are the cpu's faster than the fx-62 by amd. They arent out yet but should be available soon. I wouldnt buy the Pentium D right now or the Socket 939 amd chips..

Stick with the newer amd Am2 or either wait and get the Intel Conroe..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just to be a stickler i would like to point out that the Pentium brand name has been discontinued, Core is the new brand name.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Would you recommend a dual core over standard for a gaming machine?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dual core is the standard these days, i would reccomend a dual core for any new system.

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
:whistling: Also,..and I know that this has been said time and time again. When Conroe does make it to our hot hands the prices for Dual Core anything will drop[u]. = (Just wait a little bit) = :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Only the prices for dual core AMDs are planned to drop, you might get some deals on old penitums but you dont want them as they are pretty pants. The cheapest Core 2 is only £150 its the first dual core at the kind of price that average people can afford.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
How quickly do you all think that all games will require DX10? Would buying a 7800 GT for dx9 be throwing my money away at this time?

Anyone know when Vista and DX10 are coming out?

And one more thing I want to make sure I understand. The conroe is going to be greatly improved from pentium D making the D crap soon?

Thank you for your replies.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 July 2006 - 01:27 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The D was pretty crap the day it was released, its the replacement its in a whole different league from the old pentiums.

DX10 will be coming out at the end of the year you will probably see the first coming out possibly October/vovember time with the first of them and the r600s from ati are december, vista is slated for a January launch.

7800GTs themselves arent the best buy with the 7900 pricing so low but buying high end gfx isnt really worth it at the moment if you can make do with what you have and save your money its better to wait the little bit extra.