Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problems in XP

• Please log in to reply

magurgle

magurgle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been having problems with the sound on my computer. If I am listening to music with nothing else running it is fine, but any other time it sounds horrible. I get a lot of distortion, kind of a crackle and chirp digital distortion, the speakers themselves are fine, and I have checked the wires and the connection and they are fine and I don't see how the wires could cause this type of distortion. The sound on startup is almost unrecognizable, while watching videos/movies the sound will be fine during talking or when not much is going on but once the action picks up or the background music picks up or heavy effects the distortion kicks in. Any idea on how to fix it or what might be the problem? :whistling:

Advertisements

magurgle

magurgle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and updated them also. This has got me stumped. Nobody can help me it seems :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Look in device manager. Do you see any yellow ! or ?'s ?

If you do, select the device and hit DELETE. Reboot your machine and let windows install a new driver.

good luck.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
That should help (above). But maybe an equalizer or something like that is turned on? Look in COntrol Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices. Or Control Panel > Audio Config (if it exists).

If reinstalling the drivers don't work search for updated drivers on the internet.

magurgle

magurgle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Everything in device manager is fine, and I have already reinstalled the drivers and updated them as well.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Try this: Open Volume Control, put all the controls half-way. Now put your Speaker Volume Up.

See if that helps.

magurgle

magurgle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope same thing, someone recommended buying a sound card. I am just using whatever came with my Dell. Whould this maybe solve the problem?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, buying a sound card could solve the problem. But before spending any money try the speakers on another computer. If you did'nt do that you can't be sure that the problem is not there.