Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FDC Failure on startup

• Please log in to reply

warrencat

warrencat

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
On Startup for my Gateway Essential PC, running XP I am getting a FDC Failure error. Press F1 to resume. I press F1 and it asks for a boot Disk in the A drive. I put in a boot disk but it does not read anthing. I swapped out floppy drives and still the same thing. It also will not allow me to boot up in safe mode. I have also tried booting up with the floppy drive disabled and still get the same error. My question is does this mean the floppy disk drive controller on the Mother Board is bad and I need to replace the motherboard?
Thanks for you help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pop into BIOS and check to see if an option for Floppy Disk drive B has been inadvertedly set.

There may also be an option in there somewhere called "Halt on Errors". This usually has an option to allow the computer to continue to boot even when an error with the floppy has occured.

warrencat

warrencat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. I found in the bios that the Floppy Disk Controller was disabled, I enabled it, now I do not get the FDC Error, but it just gos to Insert a Boot diskette in A: but A: does not read the boot disks, I have tried several. I did not see a Halt on Error in the bios.
Thanks..