Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Switched Heat sink/Fan, now computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

TheRomingRoman

TheRomingRoman

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Something as simple as switching out an old heat sink and putting in a new one shouldn't have been hard, but I didn't really know what I was doing. I took a computer repair course so I knew the basics but and the directions seemed simple enough, but I MUST have done something wrong, namely with my CPU. Just to state it, I also replaced a case fan, but that couldn't possibly have to do with the problems unless I completely mesed up the wiring, which I barely messed with at that point anyway.

When I took out my old heat sink, the CPU came with it, and it took me a bit to get them seperated. But I eventually got it off with some Poly..something.. alcohol, and it popped off easily. I made sure not to get any on the sensitive top of the CPU, just to clarify.

Anyway, I put the CPU in just the way it seemed to go, I matched the small arrows and applied a bit of pressure, but not enough to seemingly hurt something. It seemed to snap into place, so I installed the new heat sink. Everything seemed to be fine but my computer will not turn on at ALL now. When I push the power button, all it does in reply is give me two short beeps. If it helped, something in the computer lights up with '9F' when I try to turn it on. Could be nothing, I could be reading it wrong, but just seems I should mention everything.

I've went through my steps back and forth at least three times, kept trying to get the CPU in securely without damaging it, but nothing seems to be working.

It has to be something to do with my CPU chip, I mean, why else would it completely refuse to start?

Thanks for any help I get in advance, you guys have helped me before and I find myself counting on you again.

(By the way, I didn't really know where to post this, so it if should be somewhere else, please move it mods)

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Ahh.. maybe you just forgot to mention it. but....... did you apply the thermal grease? Cause your old hsf probably had a thing film of it on it and you washed it off with alchol(btw only use 99% or above when cleaning ur cpu) well if you didn't than apply thermal grease right away and pray that you haven't burned your cpu yet. A cpu without thermal grease gets very hot very quick. and just to be safe unplug that case fan and give it a try.