Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important Question

• Please log in to reply

Dustinduse

Dustinduse

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ok i have a Dell 8400 running win XP. I had to do a Total System restore today b/c a file went missing or currupt. When i called tech support they made me do the Restore and i lost everything!!!! I was wondering would it erase data on a second disk? and is their a way to prevent this file from doing it again?

Thanks for any help you dudes RULES!

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
If you are referring to daul hard drives and one is storage. it should only effect the drive with the operating system that you did a restore to. Not lose your data, but perhaps the prior problem changed how you can access your data. Then a data recovery tool would be needed. I'm not an expert, just saw you haven't got an answer yet and I have done several restores lately. Good Luck!

Dustinduse

Dustinduse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i dont think anyone cares lol

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I still think this is the best site, especially for being treated with respect. But I see you are still waiting. I use another site sometimes, there they often talk about data recovery methods and give you links to pograms to do so. Problem is there are a few guys there that will really humilliate you, yet others like "jam" and "Street1" will be excellent help. You will get answers fast but nothing will bump your post back to the top like it does here. So after a few days you will be burried several pages back, watch your manners there as 'those that think they know everything will jump all over you. Definantly give it a try, I always post there when I'm getting impatient. HERE IT IS.....>... computing.net ....... that's it........ computing.net ........ GOOD LUCK!

Edited by crunch, 21 July 2006 - 06:16 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I routinely partition hard drives in my computers with a 20 gig "C" operating system drive and usually a "D" drive for data, usually the rest of the drive. That way i can reformat the "C" drive and reinstall windows without losing any data at all. On some of my computers i use 2 hard drives and the second drive is just for data.

It you installed a second hard drive in the computer and used it just for your data you would never lose the data unless the drive went bad. Even if you replaced the "C" main drive and had to fdisk, format, and install windows on the drive, you would still have access to that second drive and all the data on it.

I have had HD's fail on me so any data i think is important enough i back up to cd's or dvd's along with keeping the data on a separate partition or hd. I have dowloaded programs i found 10 years ago running on my XP computers because i like redundant backups. A lot of these programs many people have never seen or heard of. Most people want me to put them on their computer after i show them the programs. i have a backgammon program i bought from the internet as a download in 1995. Many people think this is the best backgammon program they have seen. Funny that it runs very well on my XP computers.

SRX660