Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power, no boot

• Please log in to reply

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes, another dreaded emachines failure. My mother's PC has apparantly died. I have done some searching around here about the emachine issues, but could find nothing definative.

From the top:
I find that pushing the power button has no effect, so I changed the power supply. Now i have a power supply that has an independent on/off. I turn on the new power supply, and the fan is working, also the fan on the heatsink is working. Power button still has no effect.

I tested it with PCI card removed. With another HDD. With memory reseated. With CMOS battery removed and replaced. No effect.

There is no noise other that the sound of the fan, which doesn't turn off.
There is only power to one of two CD drives.

Here is what is strange. I thought something was wrong with the power button. There are three 2pin connectors running fron the power switch to the MOBO. Two of them are for the LED's, and another is to the power switch. These two pin connectors attach to the MOBO at a location of 9 pins. So there are three pins not used. When I moved these connectors around on this 9pin socket, I was able to get the Blue LED at the powerswitch to light, (normally it would not.) but still no Boot.

Any ideas as to the problem? Is the MOBO fried?

thanks,
fanton

Edited by fanton, 16 July 2006 - 10:16 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Make a note of what is currently plugged into where on the front panel connector (where the connections from the front panel buttons and lights go). Then pull them all out.

Use a screwdriver to short the jumpers which should complete the circuit and make the computer come on. If this works, there is an issue with the power button on the case itself.

Failing that, having removed all the cards and with nothing plugged into the board apart from the two needed from the power supply and the system fails to boot, either your board or your processor is dead. The easy way to tell is to take that processor out and put it and its heatsink into another board that you know works. If the working board now fails to boot, your processor is dead, otherwise the board in the eMachines is dead.

eMachines generally use cheap parts and are flogged as low-end budget machines which quite often break pretty quickly. The upgradability is virtually non-existant, support unavailable and parts are often non-standard.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
As neil says emachines are cheap entry level machines... I have a stack of emachine cases that had power supply and motherboard die on.... same issues you had... sorry

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So I suppose I don not want to replace this with another Emachine. I was thinking of doing that, so that I could transfer some of the working components. RAM, HDD, drives...
I suppose that will transfer to other PC's as well. I just have to make a decision now. and need to find something that will accept PC2700 RAM.
I should ask, will the memory be alright is the motherboard is bad? Same for HDD

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

So I suppose I don not want to replace this with another Emachine. I was thinking of doing that, so that I could transfer some of the working components. RAM, HDD, drives...
I suppose that will transfer to other PC's as well. I just have to make a decision now. and need to find something that will accept PC2700 RAM.
I should ask, will the memory be alright is the motherboard is bad? Same for HDD

the hard drive should be ( no guarantee though )

the memory is kind of questionable.....

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
What about adding memory to a Dell Dimension 2400. I am looking at buying used, and I was told by Dell that dell components must be used on their systems. Is this accurate?
Same question for the HDD.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

What about adding memory to a Dell Dimension 2400. I am looking at buying used, and I was told by Dell that dell components must be used on their systems. Is this accurate?
Same question for the HDD.

power supplies and motherboards yes the rest SHOULD be market standard..... The little Optiplex use laptop drives but other than that it should be fine.