Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random reboots and BSOD!

• Please log in to reply

rickmr

rickmr

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hello,

I've recently had major problems with spyware and viruses clogging up my PC but now seem to have cleaned it up with the help of the people over on the HJT log forum, so thanks for that. My problem is now that my PC has decided to restart itself after around 30 seconds after logging in and it's sending me round the twist!

Just browsing through the other posts on this board, it looks like I have a similar problem to this thread below:

http://www.geekstogo...th-t122064.html

Similar but not exact though and I can't confirm if it's the same blue screen as I'm at work at the moment. I can use my PC in safe mode for the main part without it restarting, although I lose internet connectivity after around 3/4 mins meaning another restart back to safe mode.

The problem first occured when I went to install IE 7 Beta after I'd cleaned up the pc of the infections. During installation it rebooted itself and then the problems started. Although it doesn't restart itself randomly in safe mode, if I try installing IE7 in safe mode then it does reboot itself.

Like I said, it's coming up clean with regard to viruses/spyware but maybe there's still something lurking or it could be entirely unrelated and couincidental that my PC's doing this.

I'm running XP home with a 1ghz AMD Athalon processor, 512mb ram.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks

Rick

Edited by rickmr, 17 July 2006 - 05:39 AM.

Advertisements