Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Updates

• Please log in to reply

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have recently downloaded a number of XP Security Updates but my machine flatly refuses to install the following 4 updates: Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB918419)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB914455)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB917151)
Security Update for Otlook 2003 Junk EMail Fliter (KB919031) This one doesn't actually bother me because I don't use Outlook. I have tried several times.

I am not very computer literate and some of the info about machines that are posted by other members in order to get help I look at and think "wow, how did they do that??" So I guess what I'm saying is please don't lose me in a lot of IT jargon :whistling:

Many thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using windows, microsoft or office update?

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Microsoft but have also tried through Office. Not had a problem before until now :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Does the machine give you any error messages when you try to install the updates or does it just do nothing?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you see how this goes

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Any error it gives

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'll give it a go. Normally after each installion it is followed by "done" In this case I get "failed"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This link didn't install?

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've tried it but message came up with "the update cannot be applied" So I guess it'll be the same for the others too. I have the latest Windows Installer by the way. Sorry if I'm a bit slow, I use IE for all my MS downloads etc but Mozilla Firefox for everything else so I'm switching browsers :whistling: Plus I'm still feeling my way around this site.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Many thanks Keith, it all looks abit scary :help: but I'll give it a go and get back to u, maybe in a month !! :blink: Watch this space :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully it will improve things

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok... I followed everything right up to putting in the XP CD and typing sfc/scannow in the Run box. I got a message saying "Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow' I've checked and the sfc.exe does exist but ???? So should I just go and download Tune Up 2006 ans see what happens from there? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Specifically, sfc space /scannow

sfc /scannow

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ah, I didn't include the space! Off to do that now :whistling:

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have been able to install 3 of the 4 downloads - still can't do the OE Junk EMail Filter but as I said earlier, it's no big deal as I don't use OE. But in addition to solving most of the problem I now have a machine that bursts into life very quickly - what a brilliant program Tune Up 2006 is!! Thank u sooooo much Keith :whistling: I do have other issues with this machine mainly svchost.exe errors upon opening any Windows Applications and these still exist after everything I did yesterday but I will get back to u and post as a new subject. Many, many thanks xx