Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Streaming Music - Burning it to a CD - Skips

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am recording an internet radio station using Audacity. Each recording is about 6 hours long and is recorded as an MP3. A MAJOR problem:

somewhere between the recording and the burning process when I play the CD there arepauses of about 1/2 second at random intervals about every every 5 - 10 seconds. It really screws up the listeninmg experience. They are not skips but seemingly are just pauses ( no music is actually missing). I suspect it is caused during the burning process and is caused by some behind the scenes computer processes. I've tried to shut off all programs that don't need to run but this hasn't solved the problem. Any suggestions on how to burn without the pauses?

Advertisements

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ANybody?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you just listen to the mp3 before burning it...do you still get the skips? try burning the file at a slower speed

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

if you just listen to the mp3 before burning it...do you still get the skips? try burning the file at a slower speed

Finally got to listen to it and YES there are skips in the file before burning. Now what?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if there are skips in the mp3 then it's in the encoding not the burning....are you encoding on the fly? as in encoding as you stream? this is probably why it's doing this...

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

if there are skips in the mp3 then it's in the encoding not the burning....are you encoding on the fly? as in encoding as you stream? this is probably why it's doing this...

Yes - I'm listening to the streaming music, then starting the recording with Audacity, until the program is over; about 6 hours. I've tried to shut off all running programs (that I know of) but still get the skips. Is there a way to turn off everything. There must be some program/process accessing the CPU at different times that is causing the skipping. During the skip, I do not lose any data. It is just delayed for a fraction of a second for each skip. Tks. for the assistance.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that starting up in safe mode with networking would work...but that would be an annoying fix....it could be your antivirus/antispyware software if there is a live agent