Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Problems

• Please log in to reply

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I am having trouble with my Dell computer and Windows XP operating system. I had been having no problems before, and when I tried to turn on the computer it said that Windows could not load properly. I started it in safe mode, which was fine, and I ran a virus scan which was all clear. I tried to start up normally, and I got the welcome page and logged in, and within 3 minutes the computer just restarted. I tried again and again, and everytime it wouldn't stay on for longer than 5 minutes! I have never had problems before - please help! Thanks so much.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What if I don't have a Windows XP CD (it's the professional edition)? Can I still do this? Will I lose all my files? What happened in the first place? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try this also

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

As for post 2, the underlined ones are clickable, none of them would adversely affect data etc

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
okay,

So I ran the System Restore like instructed, it didn't work and said that, even when I went as far back as a month, there had been no changes. I called the manufacturer of the computer and we ran a Windows File Protection to restore all the files to their original state, which still didn't work. When I check the error message on why my computer won't start it says something about a video card and Thread_Stuck_in _Device_Driver stop error. I was told I would need the Windows XP CD to repair Windows (I use Windows XP Professional), but I don't have one, cannot get one from the Manufacturer and cannot get one from the place I bought the computer. Is there anyway I can fix this? It still works fine in safe mode, but restarts after a few minutes when loaded properly. Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know which video card you have

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Radeon 9200 and Radeon 9200 Secondary. I tried going to the ATI site to download the lastest driver for Radeon 9200 and it says that there are problems installing and that Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 might not be installed properly... I can't even update my computer now because whenever I try to go to Windows Update it restarts, and I can't seem to update in safe mode (it says that the page cannot be displayed in the Windows Update screen). I have no idea what to do now, please help! I have no idea how to fix this error now that I have downloaded the update for my driver (like Windows Update told me to) and it still doesn't work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try an earlier version driver, the important thing is to get one that works, if you have .net framework 1.1 installed, download these

http://www.filehippo...i_catalyst/?657

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried downloading that version and I got an error message: INF error, video driver not found (I am doing this in safe mode with networking), and then setup unable to complete, try to set up display adapter with standard VGA driver before running setup. ... I have no idea what is wrong with my video adapter, but it seems to be causing a lot of problems.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi katiebatie...

Keith asked me to look in on your problem as it's very late (early) in the UK... :whistling:

Let's try rolling back the drivers for the video card. Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab and then on the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) the "Display Adapter" catagory, right click on your video card, and choose "Properties". Click on the "Driver" tab and then on the "Roll back driver" button. Click "Yes" if prompted. Reboot.

Let me know if there is any change...bad OR good.

This may also be caused by the video card overheating. Have you had the machine for quite a while?

wannabe1

Advertisements

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, so I did that, and when I went to rollback I got a message saying that something is not verified by Windows, but I continued anyway. Everything seemed to go fine, it prompted a shut down and then it loaded again (not in safe mode). When the desktop loaded, everything was weird, the icons were bigger and the colours were different and lighter, and I got a message: The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed or ATI driver is not working properly. The ATI control Panel will now exit. Then the computer restarted again on its own, and I started in safe mode with networking to write this message.

I also did have my computer on for a very long time - almost 5 days and it is pretty hot. Could that be it?

I am going to go to bed now so no need for an immediate reponse, but I will try to fix it again in the morning. Also, I am still under warranty with the computer - should I just bring it in so as to avoid possibly making it worse or is this likely fixable? Thanks so much for all your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I expected...you are now running on Windows native drivers.

Now go back to Device Manager just as you did before, but instead of choosing "Roll Back Drivers", choose "Update Drivers" and have Windows search for and install the best drivers for your card.

Again, let me know the results.

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I did the update driver to both Gigabyte RADEON 9200 and 9200 Secondary, in both cases it said that Windows could not find a better updated version of what I had. ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Install the ATI drivers Keith linked you to and reboot. Let me know the results.

katiebatie

katiebatie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I still got an INF error: Video Driver not found