Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Installation

• Please log in to reply

erndawg101

erndawg101

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've never actually changed my GPU. Logic would suggest I update to the most current drivers on nVidia or ATI's websites, power down, remove the old card, install the new one, and power up again. Does that about sum it up or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That seems pretty good, just one thing. Don't install new drivers until after you install the new card, because the card may overwrite the new drivers you just installed, back to older drivers (the newest available when the card was produced).

erndawg101

erndawg101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
So updating the drivers is pointless before the card is in, but essentially you're saying that GPU's are plug and play, as I thought?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yup, though if you have integrated graphics, you might have to go through some steps to disable that.

erndawg101

erndawg101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Nope, not intergrated. Going to the 7900GTX from the 6600GT

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may also be in your best interest to get drivercleaner (google it) and remove all the drivers for your old card before installing the new card....

graphix cards are not plug and play...per say...but windows xp does have default vga drivers that it will use untill you get the proper drivers

erndawg101

erndawg101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks. I'll do that.