Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Plug and Play error?

• Please log in to reply

spywaremagnet

spywaremagnet

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Our family just got a video camcorder, and I installed a TRW-H3PI Firewire card into a PCI slot. There was a modem there earlier, but I didn't uninstall the device. (I probably should have)

So anyways, I installed it and turned on the computer. When I turned it on, Windows didn't act as though the device was there. So I hooked up the camcorder, turned it on. Still nothing. When I turned it off though, Windows completely froze up so I had to forcefully shut it down by holding down the power switch.

I turned it back on again, and after the Dell logo came up I got the message "Plug and Play Configuration Error" and it asking me to press F1 to continue and F2 to enter setup.

I press F1 and Windows boots as normal, and this time installs the device, but when it ends warns me the device was "not installed properly". And it doesn't work!

What gives?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you uninstall the modem in device manager yet? You need to do that and reboot. Then check in device manager to see if the firewire card is working properly. You may have to delete the firewire drivers in device manager and reinstall them to get the card to work.

SRX660

spywaremagnet

spywaremagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The modem disappeared by itself, and I tried reinstalling. I just see in Device Manager "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Could it just be I have a faulty card?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Before ruling the card as bad i would try it in a different slot. As for the modem i would be suspect of the modem disappearing. Even tho the modem was gone does not mean the drivers are also gone. You may have settings that call for the modem causing errors. If the drivers disappeared while the modem was still in the computer it would tell me there is a problem. Usually if a modem goes bad you get errors when you call for it to dial out.

Sometimes some hardware needs the drivers installed before hooking up the hardware. Most of the time the instructions will tell you this. You might try that also if the "install card then install drivers routine" does not work. After exhausting every avenue you can think of it might be time to return the camera for an exchange to see if the hardware had a problem. Other avenues include doing google searches for the same problem and going to the manufacturers website to see what their FAQ's will say.

SRX660

spywaremagnet

spywaremagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, but how can I fix all this? In the manual it said that it would recognize and install the device after I put it in...

So what am I supposed to do? I don't want to open up the computer any more times than I have to. Would I need to put the modem back in and then uninstall the drivers? I did unhook the telephony cord from the system board. Could it be looking for it and confused because it isn't there?

Also, one other thing. I looked in the F2 setup without changing anything and found to Intel devices both with an IRQ of 10. I don't believe I should change that though, should I?

:whistling:

spywaremagnet

spywaremagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Please help!

I really need to get those videos on the computer!

I did find the modem drivers and uninstalled them, but it's still not working.

Edited by spywaremagnet, 23 July 2006 - 10:03 AM.