Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP

• Please log in to reply

elliott_o6

elliott_o6

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm sorry for posting so many topics this past few days but I just can't seem to get this.

Everytime i start my computer the little bar that runs accross the screen freezes and i have to pull the plug at the mains. When I turn it back on it say "windows is sorry for this error and we believe a recent set of software or hardware may have caused this" I choose start windows normally and it crashes again, I have to do this 5 or 6 times for windows to load. Its only started happening recently and I havent installed anything new really. I ran a check disc and scanned for viruses but nothing was found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi,

Before I start this answer is based on the knowledge of previously doing this and what I remember. Sorry for any lack of detail.

I think this may be a problem with the boot or MBR files. If you have your XP CD, put it in and reboot the PC, make sure it boots from the CD. When the CD fully loads you should come to a menu, with one up saying "repair my windows xp" or something along those lines, choose that. It might ask you to use command prompt, if not already taking you there (black screen / white text). It should ask you for the administrator password. After you have typed this in you should have a line saying "C:/>". Type (without "s) "chkdsk /r", wait for the process to finish. Then type "fixboot", then after that finishes, type "fixmbr". Some may ask you "are you sure?" hit Y and press enter.

Hope this helps,

~Sam.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi elliot_o6

I'm not convinced the mbr or boot sector is the problem here. If it was, I doubt Windows would get as far as it does when loading. However, running chkdsk is a good recommendation.

Have you tried :

1) Disconnecting all external devices (especially USB ones), except for keyboard & monitor. Does this help the boot problem?

2) Booting in safe mode? Does this make any difference?