Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Water cooling

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I am planning my next computer, which will most likely require a watercooling solution. I would like some advice and suggestion on a water cooling kit (including the the cpu block and if possible a gpu block also)that's around 300$ and easy to install. I am not a novice in system building but i have no experience what's so ever with water cooling. I have looked at a few kits, and from what I see, I am leaning towards an external kit or a kit that does not require extensive modding of the case. I am also very sensitve to noise so a quite water cooling kit is a must. Some kit along the lines of the Koolance Exos or perhaps the Zalman Restorator. The cases i am currently looking at are the. Antec P180, Thermaltake Tsunami and the NZXT lexa, all mid towers so not a lot of room.
I would appreciate any advice on the subject of watercooling and tips on installation.
Thx in advance for the help

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The p180 and Tsunami are pretty big cases. Akasa cases are good for water cooling because they are very wide.

The two kits you mentioned are probably the most recognised but also poorly performing, the best kits are made by asetek and swiftech dont require case modding they mount to standard 120mm mounts and come in various size single fan dual fan or triple fan radiators, dual and triple are best but unless you have a stacker you need to modify the case to get them to fit, asetek and swiftech kits are internal asetek are used by the high end builders as the kits are easily customised parts are interchangable and the pump and resevoir are powerful but small enough to fit in a case swiftech i think is one of the drive bay fitting models.

I wouldnt get a koolance or zalman, exos are actually pretty noisy if you want cooling thats better than normal and zalman is silent but cooling isnt as good as air.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
You are right, I read more reviews and it seems that people aren't really happy with the zalman or koolance (hehe i mentioned zalman cause i use them for air cooling and koolance cause its so famous), but what kit would you sugguest from switftech? I can't really offer you a lot on the specs of my system because i am waiting for core 2 duo.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its more what you can actually get hold of rather than what you can pick, although basically as long as tis the two good brands i mentioned and its 120mm fans with radiator you are fine as they don make alot of different kits in fact they only really make the good kits. They just arent the easiest things to find in the US.

Zalman make great stuff but silent solutions never cool as well as ones with fans, there air stuff is great and the reserator is great for what it is but its not a good cooling solution for high end systems.

If you are getting a core2 system you can still get your shooping list together some sites will have them on for pre order so you can get the prices and just fit it all into your budget.