Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am getting this message when I try to boot Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I am trying to load the recovery console to repair windows. However, when I boot from CD and and press "r" for repair, the recovery console doesn't open. Instead the computer just restarts.

What can I do to fix this??

Also - can I reinstall XP in a new partition without having to reformat/delete my whole hard drive?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Www...

Most Dell cd's include the repair option. What happens if you boot to the cd and at the screen that you pressed R on, you press "Enter" instead. There is a guide for the Repair operation HERE. Take a few minutes to read it over before you try it.