Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

how to update the bios start to finish

• Please log in to reply

The Ricker

The Ricker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm building a system for tranfering my 8mm video tapes to dvd , Here's my parts ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, amd Athlon 64 4200 dual core / 939 socket, cosiar ddr 3200-400mhz / 2 gig , Maxtor sata 7200/ 300gig, EVGA GEforce 6800 g.s 256mb pci express O.S win 64 bit xp pro ( not installed) win vista to follow when avaliable. I have only fired up the system to the orignal bios and followed the instructions in the book the M.B came with. I have not hooked the dvd burner as instructed to do at the asus web site. I keep reading articles about how I need to update this board's bios for 64 bit O.S , and I have tried but I am still totaly in the dark about what it is that I'm doing exactly, they talk about bios flash tool and bios 1302 but I put them on a floppy and then I'm lost with no O.S, I can't seem to get the right command to type to get the floppy to do anything, not really sure how to get to the a prompt , then the flash tool or what I'm lost . Can someone explain this in detail so Mr. bit off more than he can chew. Please...

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have Gigabyte boards myself, no personal experience with Asus. Here is a link to a forum dedicated to AMD Asus boards: http://forums.pcper....display.php?f=8 Check out the sticky post at the top. There you will find all kinds of info, maybe even the answer to your problem.

They have a Gigabyte forum too and I have found solutions there.