Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Connect to unsecure web sites

• Please log in to reply

michimonter

michimonter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can connect to secure web sites and my email works fine except it will not download any images in the email. However, when I try to connect to http sites it immediately shows done in lower left of window and sits with a blank window.

I checked with another forum and it gave me some things to try like deleting cookies, temp files, cache and another that I am hesitant to try that is, to reinstall WinXP. I would prefer that be the very last resort because if it doesn't work, I'll be with an even less secure machine than before.

This problem seemed to begin about the time I ran Spybot S&D and Ad-aware and Norton's WinDoctor. I don't know if it deleted something that WINXP needed to connect but I tried a restore in each program and it had no effect.

Thinking it was a security problem, I tried resetting each zone but it does not stay reset - I can go right back in and it is right where it was before I even tried.

I've tried eliminating all but necessary startup programs(msconfig - unchecked startup option)thinking maybe it was a third party program keeping me from seeing the pages. No effect.

Advertisements