Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Aelborn

Aelborn

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a friend who has a Dell PC, 2.4 Ghz proc running XP. His internet connection is from SBC dsl. Their router connects to his computer through a USB connection. The problem is USB flash drives do not work. I stick it into the slot and Windows wants to install software. XP is supposed to already have drivers for flash drives. I tried letting XP search an XP install disk but got a cannot install hardware response. This is keeping my friend from being able to download pictures from his digital camera to his computer. The computer is supposed to see the camera the same as it would see a flash drive.

I searched with google for drivers but haven't found any yet.

There isn't a problem with number of USB ports, he has two on front and four on back and only the one for the DSL is currently in use.

Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Advertisements

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Right click My Computer > Properties > In Hardware Tab, Click Device Manager > CLick the + Beside Universal Serial Bus Controller > Do you see any ? or !. If so, right click that device and click uninstall. Reboot, Xp should install the drivers.

Also, is your camera the only thing that doesn't work? Did it come with a driver CD? Do (other) USB drives work on the ports?

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Other USB devices work, like the DSL router, but flash drives, jump drives or whatever you want to call them, don't.

I have been looking around on the internet, trying to find some information. Best thing I have found so far is to make sure that SP1 and SP2 are installed on the computer. I will check that out next as well as disconnecting the router and see if the flash drive will work then.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Ok, for your camera to connect to the computer is SP1 or 2 required. If it is install them. or search a win XP driver for your camera model.