Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Startup trouble

• Please log in to reply

Phillios

Phillios

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello!

I am having a lot of trouble with my other computer. I am currntly on a Laptop using the internet but I would prefer to be on my desktop as it has all the necessary programs installed.

Every time I start up my desktop it says it has "found new hardware" The new hardware appears to be the monitor that is already installed so I really don't know what's going on!!!!

Also I am having trouble with the screen size as I see other people are. Again it is 16 colours and 640 x 480 pixels and constently goes back to this when I change then reboot it!

ALSO my mouse doesn't appear to be working though it is plugged in and registering, I can't see the cursor and it doesn't move!!!

I'm really stumped as to what to do because the other help posted to other people with similar problems wont help me because everything on my computer seems to be different i.e. copying and pasting things into SYSTEM.ini doesn't appear possible!

can anyone help as it is urgent

Thanks!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows does not detect a monitor. It does, however, detect the graphics card or chip to which your monitor is attached. It will keep on detecting it until a: you remove or disable the card/chip

OR

b: you install the driver software for it. Then you'll be able to change the colour-depth and resolution in display properties.

In your case I suspect you need to install the driver sofware. Without that, Windows has to use it's own basic driver which only gives you 16 colours.

Look amongst your CDs to find the graphics or video driver.

Edited by pip22, 19 July 2006 - 01:09 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Phillios
You have 2 system listed in your profile. Which one are you having trouble with ME?
Cheers
Peterm

Phillios

Phillios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yer perterm it is on ME. Sorry for not pointing that out!!

Edited by Phillios, 19 July 2006 - 02:44 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok 1st thing the mouse.
is it a USB mouse - this type of connection
Usb Mouse
Or a PS2 Mouse - this type of connection
Ps2 Mouse
If it is a usb mouse do you have a ps2 mouse we can use a a ps2 adapter
Adapter
If you are using a usb mouse and have either a ps2 mouse or adapter can you connect this and see if the mouse works
Cheers
Peterm

Phillios

Phillios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a USB mouse that goes into a ps2 adapter.

Phil

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok Phill
Lets try a quick and easy. Do you have the original 3.5" floppy that came with windows ME.
If not I hope you have a 3.5 on the laptop or access to one.
Go here and download a win me disk.
Me boot disk
and save it to the desktop on the laptop machine(or friends). Double click on the file to execute the application and put a fresh, formatted floppy diskette in the drive when you are prompted to do so by the application you just started.

1.Start your computer with the startup disk.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.
Pick a date from before you had trouble

Edited by peterm, 20 July 2006 - 02:42 AM.

Phillios

Phillios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thankyou VERY much that has fixed all problems!!

Phil