Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't go into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

gore1283

gore1283

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hello

i am over a friends house and i have been working on their compter for over a week now. i have refromated their harddrive. not all the files where removed. ok let me get to the problem. i have gone through all the settings this site has recomened. i have downloaded all the programs sugested. i have run a scan for the spy bot, avg free, ad-aware se. as far as i can tell the coputer is clean. now i have tryed to go into safe mode to run the enido and cw shredder. problem is their computer will not go into safe mode. can anyone help me out here????

running programs:

windows xp pro.

windows defender
avg free
ad-aware se
enido anti spyware no scane run yet
cwshredder no scane run yet
verixon internet security suite
spy bot

the verizon internet security suite anti virus will not compleate a scane it closes down all the time.

thanks so much

jennifer

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you say you formatted the HD but you're still looking for viruses and malware? what do you mean some files weren't removed? how are you trying to get into safe mode? what kind of keyboard is it?

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok lets see. the keyboard is a compaq. when i reformated the drive it told me that it did not remove all the files. i was pressing F8 as soon as the computer turned on and all the time until the windows login screan appeard. the reason i think there might be some bugs in the computer is because everytime the computer turns on the window deffenders says there is a low risk threat do i want to remove ect. i tell it to remove it and it keeps coming back every time i turn on the computer. also the verizon internet security suite will not run the anti virus scan. it starts to run the scan and then crashies after it hits 3% done. i have been on the phone with verizon about that problem 3 times i have done everything they suggest and still it wont work. also the cpu useage keeps going up and down as well. it will go up to 100% then back down. i hope i answer your questions compleatly. thanks so much for answering my post. :whistling:

jennifer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there any data you need on the drive, are you able to back up this data?

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no i am unable to back them up. there is no cd burner just a player and they don't have the other disc. sorry. i think its A drive.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you used an XP CD to format the drive then there would not be any files left on the drive, is it that it did not install all the files?

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
let's see when i reformatted the drive, windows informed me that not all the files could be removed. see their drive was partitioned. it was the partitoned part that windows could not remove. so it informed me that there was still old files on the computer. their tower was built for them it was not a store bought one. sadly they can not get into contact with the person that build their computer. also more problems today their windows has shut down on them for 3 times. then they where attacked with a multiple window appearing when they start up saying something like "freedomhidden windows " and it came up like 12 times at one time. help please this is getting out of hand.

thanks so much jennifer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How much data is on the drive that you need to keep?

Do you have an XP CD to install from

Is it a recovery partition?

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yes the partition is the recovery partition. on the other there is no data that they need to keep. all the data they have can be gotten back. oh yes i still have the xp pro. cd to reformat drive.

thanks so much jennifer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry for all the questions

If it is an HP PC for example, it has a recovery procedure, which should re-instate it it as it was when they got it

It is unusual to have a recovery partition and an XP CD

Do you have access to the software for the programmes they need to run

Many, such as the software for printers can be downloaded

If you have an XP CD and have the software etc, you could look at removing the partition and installing XP to single partition

Advertisements

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
all the questions is ok. i do understand you need information to give help. :whistling: i just ran the ewido in normal mode. this is what it came up with:

trojan.agent.fc
trojan.dialer.bi
proxy.sobit.c
adware.betterinternet
downloader.stubby.c
downloader.intexp.c
adware.mdh
adware.megasearch
tracking cookie.liverperson
trackingcookie.euroclick

i chose to delet all of them. they where all found in the restore point files. so it deleted all of the restore point files.

hope that helps you out. i have tryed the online scane and both of them do not work. they never get to the scanning part. they get stuck in the updating or processing mode.

thanks again jennifer

ps. i wont be back on until tomarrow.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
a very big thank you for your help. i have done all the steps sugested and all the bad stuff as far as i can tell is gone. computer is running fine. :whistling: it still wont go into safe mode but i think they can live without that choice. thanks so much for all your help.

jennifer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you boot the PC and keep tapping F8, it gives you the options, but choosing safe mode does nothing?

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
when i boot there computer by pressing F8 all the time it never goes into the option screen. it goes right to the window screeen and log in. sorry it took me so long to reply i though we where done with this tread.

thanks again for helping :whistling:
jennifer