Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway G6 450 cover removal

• Please log in to reply

Bobcat250

Bobcat250

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi To All!

This is my first post, on the Geeks to Go forum, so please bear with me :help: .

I am attempting to repair a power button on the front panel of a Gateway G6 450 PC. To do so, I have to remove the front bezel and cannot see how to do it, other than brute force :woot: !!

I noticed there are several plastic tabs which hook into the metal faceplate, but they are difficult to remove without breaking them. I've checked Gateway's site, but because this is an older model, there's scant info on it, including any downloadable manuals.

Would appreciate if anyone has experience with removing this part of the unit or can find any info/link to a site that can explain. If you can also find info on replacing the power button, that would be an added bonus :whistling: :) !

It's great to be part of this forum! Way cool :blink: !

Bobcat

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First thing is you need to remove both sides. then there are two metal tabs near the top that need to be pushed in. Sometimes it helps if you remove any optical drives first. The tabs are recessed and accessed through holes in the bay structure.... they can be difficult sometimes....

as far as the switch.... good luck.... If you glue the broken plastic that tends not to work.... it's already too stressed and typically glue doesn't have the right type of strength to hold it just right... Just used up my last plastic switch too.... We had a gateway store here one time long ago so they were all over and that was a very common problem....

Bobcat250

Bobcat250

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Shard!

I'll give that a try and see how it works. Yes, I've been told this is a common problem with this model.

Cheers :whistling: !!

Bobcat