Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help finding specific driver/BIOS update to prevent XP crashes

• Please log in to reply

azuca138753

azuca138753

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello. I am trying to update my BIOS, but I am having trouble finding a site to download the update.
Here is the information:

BIOS Type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Super I/O: Winbond 697HF rev 2 found at port 2Eh

Chipset: VIA 82C3205 rev 0

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

I desperately need this help. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to go to your computers manufacture's site to get any bios and firmware updates...you will just have to put in the make/model # of your computer....

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Take a look at this.

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for the suggestions. I considered them all. Here is the situation. Can you help with it?:

The reason why XP continues to crash is because I take part in playing a massive online game over which thousands of people interact with each other at one time. This game heavily exercises video and graphics cards. I will play the game successfully for about 15 minutes, and then my computer will automatically restart, without warning. I have already deactivated the "Automatically Reboot After Crash" feature, and I am pretty sure that now my drivers are all updated. What else could the problem be? How can I stop these abrupt crashes once and for all?

Help needed desperately!

Thank you in advance!

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Does it just restart? Or does a blue screen apear?

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Right CLick My Computer> Click Properties > Advance Tab, Click Settings under Startup and recovery > Uncheck Automatic Restart. Click OK.

Click Error Reporting (Advanced Tab). Make sure Error Reporting is Enabled and Windows Operating System and Programs is checked.

If not, enable them.

Now see if you get a blue screen.

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I went through all of those steps, and everything is and has been as you said it should be.

However, I have never gotten a blue screen when XP crashed or when my computer restarted.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I suggest you post a new topic along the lines of "Computer restarts". I have no way to fix your problem. If I think of something or see something on the web, I'll let you know.

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thank you anyway

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may be a heat issue..get everest home ..install it...play the game for 5 minutes..launch everest look at my attachment ..go to that section and see whats there ...use print screen or what ever program you want to get a picture and post it back here...

http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its not a heat or voltage issue...lets apply all the speed tweaks..

the first thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....
click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..unckeck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system or even if you do...
then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

If you don't use the Hibernation feature of XP, it's taking up a lot of unnecessary hard drive space. ....Standby and Hibernation are not the same thing. You will keep the Standby feature when you disable Hibernation. To turn off Hibernation...
1. Right-click on the desktop and click ....Properties....
2. Hit the ....Screen Saver.... tab
3. Then click the ....Power button under ....Monitor Power....
4. Click the ....Hibernation.... tab, then uncheck the box next to ....Enable Hibernation....
5. Press ....OK.... and you have just saved alot of hard drive space...

Then do this....start...control panel...add/remove programs...on the left side..add or remove windows components..uncheck everthing you dont need...I only have Media player and accessories & utilities checked....click on ...next...this will take a minute or two
then this..Start ... control Panel ...system ... Performance ... settings ...Advanced tab ....performance..settings..put a check in adjust for best performance...then click OK..while you are in the area....in the startup and recovery section..click on ...settings and uncheck automatically restart..that way if windows crashs you will get a error message that can help in troubleshooting the problem and you won't get into a booting loop that can be a PITA to get out of..then OK your way out

Then do this....Disable Startup programs
This will make booting a lot quicker, because many program that are installed get parts to load into Ram when Windows Loads, disabling it will not stop the program working. Most of these program are not needed. As a guide you should only need your Anti Virus and Spyware, and some times you that diver for the fancy new mouse that you just got. The first place to look is
Start ... Programs ... Startup folder..Everything can be deleted... they are only shortcuts

The second place to look is Start ... run... and type... msconfig.. and press OK, when it loads click on the startup tab. leave your anti virus and firewall checked...uncheck everything else..if you have a laptop you may have to leave the touchpad checked.. Changing anything will not stop Windows working.

The Page File/Virtual memory
For those that don't know what it is first a little explanation of what Virtual memory/Page File is. When a program gets loaded into memory (Random Access Memory or Ram) when opened there are pages of it that never get used. Every thing that is in memory is divided in to pages that are 4kb in size. So to save space in Ram, which is very limited resource, pages that are not used get dropped out of memory to a Page File (called pagefile.sys in XP) after a certain time, this make the computer run faster. The more page file will make a computer run faster to some degree. That does not mean that you make it as big as you can because not all of it would get used, there are two guides as to how much you need: 1.5 x the amount of Ram you have (1gb of Ram would mean 1.5gb of page file)

So to change it
Start .... Control Panel .... system .... Advanced .... Performance .... Setting .... Advanced .... Virtual Memory .... Change
Once here select ....custom size.... and set the ....Initial size (MB).... to what you decided that it needs to be (In the first example we need 1.5gb so I would type 1500 because it is in megabytes) then set the ....Maximum size (MB).... to the same size , this will prevent it from growing (which it does not need to do it you set it to the right size) and if did grow it gets fragmented it to many parts with is not fast as when it is all in one spot on the hard drive. Now press the ....set.... button then OK then OK again and then OK again and then restart your computer. You will now have a page file set for best performance

then get this and run it....CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. That removes unused and temporary files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster, more efficiently and giving you more hard disk space. The best part is that it's fast! (normally taking less that a second to run) and Free.
Cleans the following:
* Internet Explorer Cache, History, Cookies, Index.dat.
* Recycle Bin, Temporary files and Log files.
* Recently opened URLs and files.
* Third-party application temp files and recent file lists (MRUs).
get it here...

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

next get diskeeper lite

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

after installing defrag your system
defragging does not hurt your computer...you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times faster than the defragger that comes with windows

If these dont help..you will have to get a better video card or more ram or faster cpu
or all of the above

Edited by happyrck, 18 July 2006 - 02:53 PM.

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you very much.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
hows it working now...

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The computer is working at a faster pace indeed...

However, after about ten minutes of playing this online game (you might've heard of it...Disney's Toontown), my computer restarts itself. When it loads back up, an error that says "The system has recovered from a serious error" shows up. What else can I do?

Thank you in advance

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you never did post a pic of everest for me to look at...see post # 10

Edited by happyrck, 18 July 2006 - 08:12 PM.