lets repair your install of windows xp. Just follow the tutorial listed here: http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html
you will need to have service pack 2 for xp available for install as soon as the repair is done. once sp2 is installed you will need to go to windows update to install all the patches.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE REPAIR: follow these instructions:
lease go HERE
(Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not
Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
- Click on Windows Validation Assistant
- Click on the Validate Now button.
- Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
- Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
- Enter your product key then click continue
- When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
- Copy what it says and paste it here.
If you pass then start with the repair. If you don't, then post the message here so I can tell you how to proceed.