Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows media audio/video problem

• Please log in to reply

bluesharp13

bluesharp13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello

All of a sudden i cannot play Windows media audio/video files with windows media player or real player,they just open and close again immediately.
All other files play ok.
I cannot find any viruses(AVG) but Ad-aware also closes before its finished.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
have you downloaded anything recently? are your windows updates current?

lets run ewido just to verify that you don't have any spyware.

irst download ewido anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
This is a 30 day trial of the program
  • Once you have downloaded ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete you will need run ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
    • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close ewido anti-spyware, Do Not run a scan just yet, we will shortly.
  • Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.
    IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
  • Lauch ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
  • ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system (make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important).
  • Close ewido and reboot your system back into Normal Mode and post the results of the ewido report scan.

bluesharp13

bluesharp13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for that m8
I tried booting in safe mode and last good config but will not boot.
I now get a message saying the windows XP disc is not an official one and may be a victim of a software scam so it will not go any further than this message.
The XP disc is an official one and the XP software has been running fine for the last 6 months.

Martin

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
lets repair your install of windows xp. Just follow the tutorial listed here: http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

you will need to have service pack 2 for xp available for install as soon as the repair is done. once sp2 is installed you will need to go to windows update to install all the patches.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE REPAIR: follow these instructions:
lease go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on Windows Validation Assistant
  • Click on the Validate Now button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click continue
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.
If you pass then start with the repair. If you don't, then post the message here so I can tell you how to proceed.

bluesharp13

bluesharp13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for your help

I managed to get up and running using xp repair but i don't think it fully repaired but just went to the system restore point i tried to get before it stopped working.
I managed to run the sptware you told me to ...heres the report

ewido anti-spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 20:52:52 7/19/2006

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\Martin Huscroft\Cookies\martin huscroft@adopt.euroclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Euroclick : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

::Report end

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
you don't want to use the prior restore points. In fact they may have been reset. you need to make sure you install sp2 and patched your system. after that you should be in good shape. If you have individual applications that are not working it would be best to reinstall them.

bluesharp13

bluesharp13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi There

My repair install seems to go ok but seems to restart the PC before it is finished then when it has restared i cannot detect the DVD ROM or DVD Rewriter drives.
Most of my data is on an external usb hard drive so i was thinking a clean install might be the way to go.
Any more ideas , your help has been much appreciated.

Martin

Martin

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
go into device manager and see if you have any yellow or red marks next to devices. you may have to remove the device, then redetect to get it to show up. On the other hand if you have a custom built system, sometimes you have to install the system board drivers again to make things work.

bluesharp13

bluesharp13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Starjax

Thanks for all your help m8.
I eventually did a clean install of XP and the problems are sorted.

thanks again
Martin