Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to get visual back so I can use Computer

• Please log in to reply

Questnoanswer

Questnoanswer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]

Okay first off, the computer just suddenly shut off and didnt restart when i was using it. I had to reconnect power to turn it on.

I have an E-machine T2615
no upgrades except for wireless mouse and keyboard

im not getting a signal to the monitor because the integrated video card is broken. If thats the right word.

So i got a new agp card, but I realized you need to disable the original card before you can operate the new one. However, i cant because i cant see anything on the screen. Thus i cant get to the Bios. im not sure if u should be able to see the bios with out the integrated card or not. In either case, I cant see the bios.

So i dont know what next now.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
MOST modern computers will automatically switch off the on-board video when you plug in a new video card but no guarantees.... also just so you know that is a common symptom of e-machine and often means the power supply, cpu, and/or power supply may have died on you...

Edited by shard92, 18 July 2006 - 02:09 PM.

Questnoanswer

Questnoanswer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ohhh trust me i know about those #$%^ emachines. We just had to get this one. I consider myself lucky for keeping it alive for so long. thanks for the reply. Is there any way i can disable the on board card? unless i can find someone who has the same exact computer or bios i can go through it blindly.

also with the addition of the new card i installed a new power supply too.

Edited by Questnoanswer, 18 July 2006 - 02:21 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

ohhh trust me i know about those #$%^ emachines. We just had to get this one. I consider myself lucky for keeping it alive for so long. thanks for the reply. Is there any way i can disable the on board card? unless i can find someone who has the same exact computer or bios i can go through it blindly.

also with the addition of the new card i installed a new power supply too.

If it doesn't do it automatically there may be a jumper if not My guess is your motherboard is toast not just the on-board video

I've found that very often when the psu goes so does the motherboard on those things...

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Where do you have your monitor hooked into now? The new agp card, or the old integrated graphics? Whichever one it is, switch it to the one it isn't in now. Then see if you can see anything.

Questnoanswer

Questnoanswer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well i plugged the monitor into both, or i mean to say i've tried to both the agp and the original card.
both output nothing.

as for the motherboard, if it is toast well that means im screwed b/c i recall that they dont make these anymore and the replacement parts store emachines has is out of stock.

could it possibly be the.. i dont know what its called, the part that you plug the monitor cord into the pc?

fyi the new card is an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.

Edited by Questnoanswer, 18 July 2006 - 03:34 PM.

K3NnY

K3NnY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
You van also hook up your Monitor to your new graphics card, and then reset the Bios (take out the battery for 5-10 min., check manual for reset jumper) and then boot up. After a reset Bios he should recognize it and set your Ati Radeon as default.
But it might be that if your pc is 3 yrs or older that your Radeon card won't work with it.
I've had a lot of experience with Ati cards, My friend had a Radeon X1300 too, and wanted me to put it in his Dell, but Radeon X1300 cards work only with 4X Agp and 8X Agp, so he ended up with paying $180 for a card he couldn't use. Check your EMachines manual to see what Agp speed ypur motherboard supports.

good luck! :whistling:

billythekidd88

billythekidd88

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Been there, done that.

In my situation, it was a shared computer that someone had broken the connector of the back off. It was an emachine as well. Anyway, I called the video card support and told them my dilemma, obviously the dude told me he couldnt help because it was a hardware problem. But I persisted and was able to convince him to help me out and give it a try. Fortunately he gave in I was able to do it blindly in the bios.

Give it a try, you will have to convince the support guy to just give it a shot, with the whole down, down, down, enter, etc. but it worked for me. Good Luck.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if your intergrated video is not working then your motherboard is most likely fried.

the reason is, because intergrated viseo uses the CPU and the system RAM to work (and a cideo chip on the motherboard) most likely if your intergrated video is not working then your motherboard is stuffed and you need to get a replacement.

when you power on the system does your lights come on at the front? and do your fans all start to work?
can you hear your machine boot up? and do you hear any beep codes from the onboard speaker?

the reason why i ask is because this will help us out a lot to determine if your motherboard is fried or not.

if your motherboard si fried you will need ot buy a new one you said that the one you have isnt made anymore this should be ok and hopefully we can find another motherboard that will work with your CPU

we need some system specs if you wouldnt mind?

what CPU?
what Motherboard?
how much RAM?

some more info would be great!

troppo

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

well if your intergrated video is not working then your motherboard is most likely fried.

the reason is, because intergrated viseo uses the CPU and the system RAM to work (and a cideo chip on the motherboard) most likely if your intergrated video is not working then your motherboard is stuffed and you need to get a replacement.

when you power on the system does your lights come on at the front? and do your fans all start to work?
can you hear your machine boot up? and do you hear any beep codes from the onboard speaker?

the reason why i ask is because this will help us out a lot to determine if your motherboard is fried or not.

if your motherboard si fried you will need ot buy a new one you said that the one you have isnt made anymore this should be ok and hopefully we can find another motherboard that will work with your CPU

we need some system specs if you wouldnt mind?

what CPU?
what Motherboard?
how much RAM?

some more info would be great!

troppo

yep like i said..... I have a large stack of emachine carcasses awaiting recycling now with the same trouble.... You MIGHT be able to put a new MICRO-ATX motherboard and new power supply in it though...

If you try this make sure you get a board that comes with a back plate cause the one in there won't match anything but a replacement e-machine board.

Questnoanswer

Questnoanswer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep all the lights turn on fans work cd roms work.

CPU ---------- AMD Athlon XP 2600+
RAM ---------- 512MB DDR PC2100
Motherboard-- VIA KM266 & VT8235 Chipset // does L7VMM2 mean anything to you guys?
Graphics ----- Integrated S3 ProSavage 8
Harddrive ---- 120GB; 2MB cache

Could you explain the part about taking out the battery further?

that plan about going into it blindy was exactly what i was thinking. But we need the same bios.

Would it have been easier to get a video card for a PCI slot instead?

Edited by Questnoanswer, 19 July 2006 - 01:01 PM.

K3NnY

K3NnY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I got a pic of your motherboard with the battery marked:
Posted Image

You can pull the battery right out but watch out that your grounded (Leave the plug in the PSU, turn the switch off, then touch a metal part of the case inside)
Then do what I posted before.

That with the PCI card, yes you could get one and try it, just check at a used computer store (I think that PCI graphic card aren't made anymre) they should have some for not more than 10 bucks.

Edited by K3NnY, 19 July 2006 - 02:48 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
try shorting teh jumpers first and then if that doesnt work then remove the battery

a PCI card wouldnt be a bad idea. even for future stuff ups if anythign happens you can always plug that in and away you go

what about beeps? are you getting anything out of teh case speaker?

troppo