Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DLink G604T ADSL Test & Settings

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi all;

I am trying to find out if I have an intermittent fault with either my G604T Router or my BT Broadband.

I have two PC`s on Ethernet LAN and two Wireless.
The problem seems to have appeared since BT increased my connection from 2MB - 8MB (Actualy about 6-7MB), but is intermittent. Around this time I also downloaded and installed BTYahoo Norton Internet Security package, at first I had a little trouble getting my three PC Network to work but have overcome this now.

The real problem is that occasionally my Internet drops out, the ADSL light on the router starts to flash and goes off then starts to try and connect again. Sometimes the connection is up and sometimes its down, usually goes down in the morning E.G. its been on all night up to now.

I moved the router to the main BT socket and have experienced the same problems, sometimes up then somteimes down, usually goes down in the morning, its been on all night and working fine.

In order to diagnose the fault I have re-setup my BT 105 Modem on my Laptop and have it poised for the next time the router goes down then I'll switch to the BT 105 to see if I get a connection.

For more help what should the setting be on the router the manual is a little vague PPPoA or PPPoE ??
Can the router and the BT105 share the same line E.G. both on at the same time this would help diagnose the culprit?

When I look at the Log the date is always 01 January???
When I checked the Status the other day it actually said the connection was up but I still had not Internet???

Before I ship the D Link ack to D Link I`d like to be sure it is failing!!! I have at least a years trouble free Internet, contrary to other reports.

Pleas Help Ta!!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The built-in modem on this router is quite sensitive. On the plus side, it means one could get a more stable connection on a noisy line, but on the negative side it doesn't take much to upset it either. Mine did this a lot at all hours, just flashing away and re-establishing connections at 5 in the morning.

This could also be a sign that your line can't cope with the increased speed, in which case all you can do is ask to be downgraded again to a slower speed that works.

One cannot have two ADSL devices on a line - it has to either be the router or your BT modem. Settings for BT lines are always PPPoA.

As for the log, the default date and time is set to Jan 1st 2005, one has to set it every time you reboot the thing and there is an option to do this with the time currently on your computer.

As to Status - See RPerkin's second post in this thread:
http://www.expansys....o...&thread=679 as this is another issue with this router, that it basically forgets to forward your website requests to your internet provider because it's run out of memory.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi;

My connection has been playng up, on off and on again, BT Tech help are just sooooooo helpful.
About 1/2 an hour ago the DSL light on the BT 105 Modem went solid so I disconnected it and flashed up my D Link Router and woopee the ADSL light went solid, but for how long.

I was set to PPPoE so I have now changed it to PPPoA, I know PPPoE is Point to Point over Ethernet or something whats PPPoA? what`s the difference, if I am supposed to be PPPoA why would PPPoE work??

I too think my line cannot sustain the speed increase, unless it stays up I'll request a downgrade?? just have to wait ten years for BT to replace all the copper!!!

I am on BT Option 3 at an exasberating £26.99 per month, thought I`d need the usage but will probably downgrade the package too, can BT check usage now, they never could before??

Yep sussed the date problem!!

TVM for your input

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Your connection issues could be down to internal wiring. Try changing the filters.

Or alternatively, take your router to the master socket and unscrew the bottom panel (ignore any literature you might have read about this invalidating your contract with BT as this only applies if you take the TOP panel off).

Use the socket underneath the panel to plug a filter in and then your router and telephone. This disconnects all the extensions and is as far down the "chain" as you can go without getting BT involved. See how things go from there.

PPPoA is the same as PPPoE, the A stands for ATM. As for why PPPoE works, I couldn't say. Some providers want it, some don't.

Have a look in the router settings, there's a page in there about modem status or similiar. On the page in question is a load of figures about line attenuation and what not. I forget where it is exactly, though it is under Status. Post those please, let's see what's happening with the quality of the line.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
After complaining bitterly to BT Technical and getting them to run some tesst my Connection miraculously came on last night at about 23:00 (Do have to contact BT everytime I want to use the Internet)?? (Maybe when I do they kick someone else off to free up some bandwidth so other users can get online)!!!

It`s been working most of the day, I just checked my router and although I am sure I had changed it to PPPoA it was set to PPoE, well with a bit of fiddling its now set to PPPoA and is up an running again:

Settings as follows:

PPPoA Connection Setup
Name: PPPoA_0_38 Type: PPPoA

Options: NAT On Firewall On
Encapsulation: LLC
Idle Timeout: 60 sec
Keep Alive: 10 min
MAX Fail: 10 times
MTU: 1400 bytes
MRU: 1492 bytes
Set Route: YES On Demand: NO

PVC Settings
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
QoS: UBR

PCR: Not shown bps
SCR: Not shown bps

The DSL Status shows some interesting result

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 64
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1952
US Margin 4
DS Margin 12
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 56
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Interleaved

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

When I was using the old BT 105 Router last night I was achieving a 7.6Mb connection now it looks as though the connection has been dropped to 2MB.
How are the attenuation levels compared to a good connection??

Will setting it back to PPPoE have any effect??

TVM

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just did a test on ADSL Guide:

Downstream 1,345.5 Kbps ( = 1.3 Mbps )
Upstream 53.0 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps )

That`s pretty crappy, Router is back in its old location at the end of two new extensions, I may try the Master Socket just to see if I get an improvement, I just think BT have cut my speed down without telling me to stop me complaining (Would work for most) You don`t see much speed difference just browsing its downloading and WAN gaming where it would show.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

The DSL Status shows some interesting result

DSL Status
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 64
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1952
US Margin 4
DS Margin 12
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 56
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Interleaved

You have a noisy line. With Attentuation figures like those (which I have had similiar to), you shouldn't even be able to get a 2Mb line. I had similiar figures and I cannot get anything faster than 512k, but they have improved a lot now since I first had broadband.

Basically, to explain this, attenuation is essentially how "noisy" the line is as to whether the router's built-in modem is able to "hear" the ADSL signal from your exchange. The further away from the exchange you are, the higher the figure. Anything over 75 on the DS Line Attenuation score is a no-go area for broadband. Anything below about 42 is okay for 2Mb, anything over 60 but up to 75 is only good for 512k.

Your margin scores though are, and I put this politely, rubbish. These basically absorb fluctuations in interference on the line, and therefore to keep the service reliable. Obviously the higher the better, but as you upgrade to faster broadband speeds, the signal to noise ratio goes up. Therefore when this figure starts to hover around the low teens, coupled with frequent disconnections and what not (some lines are able to work with the low figure), its a sign that the line cannot cope with the speed and all you can do is request a downgrade.

Here's an interesting couple of pages:
http://www.kitz.co.u...l/linestats.htm
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have been running some more tests:

First I tried both my BT105 Modem in the Master Socket and managed to activate the CTRL F1 extra info.
I also tried my router in the Master Socket the 105 managed to get a connection faster but still driopped out a couple of times. The D Link had more trouble carrier up and down but managed to sustain a connection for a while.

The DS Noise levels where down to about 12 - 14 but the DS Margin was still pretty low.

From there I tried to move my router, which in doing so pinned down the Noise problemI have pinned down one culprit, I have an extension wired into the BT socket (Not off of the Master) this goes into my understairs cuboard where another socket is fitted from this wired into the back of this socket is another extension that was going to my router.

My Router is now connected at the first extension point via a wireless link and the figures in the status panel of the D Link are as follows:

Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 8128
US Margin 27
DS Margin 15
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 15
US Line Attenuation 12

As you can see the noise levels are way down but the DS Margin is still low hence the disconnects I suppose. Mind you I have been online allnight without a problem but do have trouble getting an initial connection.

What seems wierd though is that the 105 Modem states that it bis connected at 6.3Mbps and the D Links as above , but when I run a speed test on ADSL Speedguide using an 8MB ADSL/RADSL as a choice I keep getting a speed reported of about 1.3MB.

I also ran a comprehensive speed test online and got reports that my speed was lower than it should be?

I just dowloaded a file (An AVG Free Update from free.grisoft.cz) at a speed of 115Kbps 3.29MB in 31 Secs, how does that rate????

Should I contact BT and tell them to cancel my upgrade to 8MB (Supposed to be free) and downgrade to a lower tarrif, currently on BT Option 3 at a whopping 26.99 per month.

TVM

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Those figures are a lot better now so your connection should be a lot more stable.

But having said that, even with very impressive Attentuation figures like those, you've still got margin figures that are not untypical of the ones I have now (and I'm only on a (Stable) 512k connection).

It would appear that you're being capped somewhere along the line - a typical download rate of 115k (assuming nothing else is being downloaded at the same time) is a typical speed seen on a 1Meg connection.

You quite often find that the connection becomes a lot more reliable (and faster) during the night and during weekdays as people log off, go to bed and go to work the next day. Many people experience problems between 6pm and 11pm, as everybody comes home and logs on, therefore on a 50:1 ratio, doesn't take lots of big downloads and online gaming to upset everybody else.

The easiest solution would be to downgrade as your margins should then shoot up. The issues with 8Mb broadband are exactly the same as they were when everybody was offered free upgrades to 1Mb first time round - major headaches all round.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Niel;

Thanks for all your help, BT actually phoned today and asked my partner how our connection was. I wasn`t in but my wife said that I had been doing some tests and believed that our connection had been downgraded, the caller made no comment.

I`ll call them and ask to be released from the new 12 month contract which I had to enter into for the upgraded, as far as I am concerned I have not had one!!!