Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK Running at Bootup Finds Many Bad Sectors

• Please log in to reply

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello all. The other day my PC running XP Pro froze completely while trying transfer files onto drive f: which is a hard drive in the case. No cntrl/alt/delete, no mouse, no nothing. So I rebooted. Then I got a message that a delayed write had failed and the data has been lost - I got that about 3 or 4 times. Ever since then it has taken a VERY long time to boot, navigate and/or shutdown, and I mean like 10 minutes.

Then when trying to open a disk drive (drive f:) yesterday I got an error that the drive cannot be opened. Again I rebooted and when it started to boot up I got the blue screen that says that the computer was shutdown improperly and that the data one of the drives needs to be checked for consistency and the OS wants to run CHKDSK (or scandisk, I'm not sure). So I let it run and it scans drive f:. It proceded to repair a couple of files and repair a couple of indexes and do some validation, etc... then it found many many bad sectors throughout the disk. It just fills the screen line after line saying "Disk Sector 1234 is Unreadable" and keeps going. Not all of them are bad, or at least the 4 digit sector numbers of the bad sectors are not sequential. What's the deal here and what can I do? What's causing Windows to be so DOG slow and what's up with the drive? Luckily this drive is a member of a redundant backup so I have other copies of the data on it, but I still need to fix it and Windows. Instructions? And thank you in advance!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
This seems to point to the drive F beginning to fail if windows reports lots of bad sectors on it. I would replace it asap.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yup...I'm with pip22 on that drive....backup everthing you cant live without...it sounds like its failing

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ditto...it would be a good time to back-up... :whistling: