Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing on boot

• Please log in to reply

panthy

panthy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi, i'm new to this site n i don really know this is a right place to ask for help.
my PC begun to freez on startup of winxp but not in a fixed time n location of it (on scan disk, win logo, early on loading and etc). this happens when i turn on my pc after a time (usaully 1 hour or more) of having it shut down. in this situation nothing works n i just have to shut down. its intresting after 2 to 3 cycles of freezing-shutting down-start up, everything turns to be fully OK! i changed my winXP but this prob kept going. i don know it's a hardware problem or a virus or software condition??!
thak u for reading .

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what do you mean "i changed my winXP but this prob kept going"

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Do you have lots of programs running on startup? scan your system for viruses/malware.

panthy

panthy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

xp to xp+service pack 2

panthy

panthy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Do you have lots of programs running on startup? scan your system for viruses/malware.

i unistalled all those programs. McAfee n Norton didn find any.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
It's not good to have 2 anti virus programs. They could conflict with eachother and not find viruses that way. keep the antivirus you think works best.

click start>run>
type: msconfig

click the startup tab. uncheck all programs you don't need on startup.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

xp to xp+service pack 2

if you had any malware on your computer before installing SP2..it would screw up the system..you may have to to reinstall XP and SP2 to get your system to work again...backup anything you cant live without first..

panthy

panthy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i first formatted my drive of runnig os and then reinstalled SP2 but the bug remains. no malware detected by Norton (last update). is it necessary to format other drives? :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i unistalled all those programs. McAfee n Norton didn find any.

you uninstalled what programs ???? if you cant give us ALL the info on what your system consists of and what you have done then its going to be [bleep] hard to help you

panthy

panthy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
my machine (intel pentium 4, 1.8 celeron, 256 m ram) suddenley begun to hang on start-up. i formatted the PC and reinstall xp p2, but it didn work out. i checked the system by Norton antivirus but nothing found. replacing graphic card, ram, hard disc, power and even mouse and modem didn solve the problem. i even update the bios but it hanged again. amazingly the system changed to be ok from yesterday unexpectedly!! i described the quality of the problem in the first post. now there is no problem but for educational purposes i want to know you as experts of computer have any clue??? if you want any extra information plz ask.