Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blew A Fuse, Now PC Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Last night I blew a fuse in my room and now my computer won't turn on. I unplugged the power chord for a few minutes and plugged it back in and it still doesn't run at all. Is there anything I can do inside my computer? :whistling:

Edited by -JuSTiN-, 18 July 2006 - 04:56 PM.

Advertisements

K3NnY

K3NnY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, just take your PSU out of the Case, open it, and look for a fuse (here's how te look: http://upload.wikime...b/b2/Fuses.jpg). Normally you can just pull it out (In some PSU's they're soldered in), look what it says on it (mostly 230V, 15A) and get a identical at Home Depot or Radio Shack. If you don't find a fuse, you have a cheap PSU and can throw it right in the trash, get a new one (a good brand, I prefer FSP) put it in and hope it works, because it could also be that not only the PSU but also the Motherboard or other Hardware (Floppy drive, harddrive, etc.) was fried.

Hope I could help :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
have you checked to see if the machine works in other rooms/power outlets?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
...or have you checked to make sure that he outlet you are using has ac voltage present, like maybe plugging in a lamp just to make sure? Sometimes simple things get overlooked. There should be a reset button on the front of the computer, just below the power button (you need to use a pen or pencil to push it in). If none of these fix it, go back and do as K3NnY suggested.

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok guys. thats for your input. i went out and bought a new power supply this morning and i'm installing it in right now. I was wondering if i have to do anything in the bios (if this works) because it has more waltz (350 on this one and 300 on the old one) or is all i have to do is connect everything. hopefully this works.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

ok guys. thats for your input. i went out and bought a new power supply this morning and i'm installing it in right now. I was wondering if i have to do anything in the bios (if this works) because it has more waltz (350 on this one and 300 on the old one) or is all i have to do is connect everything. hopefully this works.

nope just hook it up..... you might also want to do what was said above.... And at least try to have a few things off that you had on last time.... or you might just blow a fuse again.....