Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Digital photos lost

• Please log in to reply

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am running Windows XP pro (sp 2). When I try to open a photo it launches Windows picture and Fax viewer and says "No preview available".
I have tried to open in Photo shop and it states, "Because a JPEG marker segment lenght is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete)".
The file sizes seem appropriate.
I appear to have lost a lot of family photos that are priceless. Can anyone offer any advise?
I will attach a photo for you review.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi u10b_coach...

Are these photos on you hard drive or removable media? Can you post a sampe file name, including the extension, here for me?

wannabe1

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
They were taken with a Sony digital camera and most not renamed. DSC00002.jpg

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, they are on my hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if InfranView will open any of the bad ones. I have had some success with this application opening corrupt images that other apps won't.

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It stated that it could not open the file, unknow header. The prevailing theory with the geeeks I work with is, there is a virus that stips the header inof on these files. Cant prove them wrong yet.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh yeah...it's a header problem for sure. Sometimes a less finicky image editor will open them, though. The two I've used with the most success are the aforementioned and AcDsee. Another trick I've had work is to save the file as a BMP, and open it in Paint...then save it as a jpeg.

There are services available that specialize in this sort of thing, but they are kinda spendy.

Would you mind attaching an image here for me to play with?

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here is a picture I am having issue with. I don't see the attachment. I browed to it, then clicked [bleep] this attachment. then posted,,,,what do I need to do differentl?

Edited by u10b_coach, 18 July 2006 - 11:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
E-mail it to me...I'll PM you my address.

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Here is a picture I am having issue with. I don't see the attachment. I browed to it, then clicked [bleep] this attachment. then posted,,,,what do I need to do differentl?

I tried opening in paint and that program will not open the file.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you gotten my PM?

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I sent you a photo to work with. I tried IrfanView. It stated it could not read the header view.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you at any time try to rename these photos while they were in ......My Pictures folder....if you did they changed. if thats the case you have to change them back to there original name

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did not change the file names. They were downloaded directly from the camera to the computer. It is possible that there may be multile instances of the same file name in the MY pictures folder.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if there were same instances you wouldve been ask to over write the files

did you delete or reformat your camera is there a way to retrieve any from camera

i think some repairs for lost files can be done with your xp cd

a moderator like wannabe1 can help you with that